PDA

View Full Version : I need your input for detailing my car

rivaladversary
05-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Hey everyone. I have a Black 2010 Acura TSX that I park outside, and I plan to hand-apply everything that I will list. Can you guys tell me if I'm doing it right? Are there steps I can or should skip?

Again, I plan to hand-apply. I have swirl marks on my car and I just want to do my best to correct/hide them until I have the balls to get myself a PC. Also, I'm sure everyone by now knows that Honda/Acura paint is super soft, and I have read this thread to better prepare myself for what I plan to do on my car.
The Challenge of Delicate Paint - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44344)

Anyway, in order, I plan to:

1. Wash car with Optimum No Rinse and dry
2. Clay with Mother's Clay
3. Polish with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
4. Apply Poorboy's World Black Hole
5. Paint seal with Optimum Optiseal
6. Wax with Optimum Spray Wax.

Am I doing this right?

maximus20895
05-17-2011, 11:27 PM
If your not getting yourself a DA right now becuase of being worried then stop worrying. If you can put your hand on a D.A. going full speed then it's safe for paint. It's almost impossible to burn the paint using a D.A.

I would strongly suggest just getting a D.A. instead of going over it with your hand. It will take less time and you will see better results.

What is your worry?

rivaladversary
05-17-2011, 11:29 PM
what if i told you i can't afford it atm? D:

i just love detailing my car. i dont mind spending 10 hours on it hand applying. im not expecting the best results. for me, it's just something to do.

Arnie36
05-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I was in your place too, i thought it was okay to hand apply everything. after i hand polished my sisters civic, that was the moment when i bought my porter cable :P no more sore arms and back!

You do have everything in the right order IMO. But you will see much much better results with a DA in your hands. you also have a much more enjoyable time IMO. i thoroughly enjoy polishing and especially waxing with my PC. I would probably skip the polishing step until i have the PC.

Elite Pro
05-18-2011, 02:29 AM
I would probably skip the polishing step until i have the PC.

:iagree: Tried it once- not only sore arms and back, but was not satisfied with the results.....until I got a machine and like max said, nothing to worry about :xyxthumbs:
although I can sympathize with not being able to afford one and don't want to discourage you from doing it by hand....
I also agree with your process in the right order

tuscarora dave
05-18-2011, 04:16 AM
what if i told you i can't afford it atm? D:

i just love detailing my car. i dont mind spending 10 hours on it hand applying. im not expecting the best results. for me, it's just something to do.
Black paint, especially soft black paint can be a bit tricky to hand polish without seeing some signs of rub marks when viewed under halogen lighting or direct sun light however, the Black Hole will hide these if they do exist however, the Black Hole may compromise the bonding integrity and clarity of the Opti-Seal. If it does all work out though, I would allow the Opti-Seal to fully cure (12 hours) before using OCW over it as the OCW would likely further compromise the bonding of the Opti-Seal if not fully cured first.

Do a test section on your hood or fender using all the intended steps and then move the car to direct sunlight and inspect the results. If you like what you see, continue with that process. Have fun with it.:xyxthumbs:

Meghan
05-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Do a test section on your hood or fender using all the intended steps and then move the car to direct sunlight and inspect the results. If you like what you see, continue with that process. Have fun with it.:xyxthumbs:
:iagree:

Always a good idea to do a test spot first to see if your method is going to work!

BobbyG
05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Again, I plan to hand-apply. I have swirl marks on my car and I just want to do my best to correct/hide them until I have the balls to get myself a PC.

Anyway, in order, I plan to:

1. Wash car with Optimum No Rinse and dry
2. Clay with Mother's Clay
3. Polish with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
4. Apply Poorboy's World Black Hole
5. Paint seal with Optimum Optiseal
6. Wax with Optimum Spray Wax.

Am I doing this right?

The basic order you've listed is correct. There are many alternatives to the products you've mentioned but these should work just fine.

If you've never done paint correction by hand, I suggest you work on a small panel to determine how much time and effort it takes to correct the surface defects you mention. Once complete, this will give you a gage of how long it will take you to do the rest of the car.

Dual action polishers require no balls to use, they're very user friendly and about the only thing you could possibly damage is your foot if you drop it accidentally.

A rotary polisher on the other hand is a different story. Many a finish has been damaged due to inexperience or just a plain old accident due to inattention.

To perform a nice correction on a regular vehicle takes me about 5 hours using two different machines. This isn't a show quality correction but a standard 2 step for light scratches and swirls.

Correction Products

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q
Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA

HeavyMetal
05-18-2011, 08:45 AM
rival,

My hat's off to you if you do a black car by hand. I tried it with my wife's previous Lexus. I was never pleased with the results. That's what led me here. Try it and if it works, great. If not, you can always get a DA later.