PDA

View Full Version : Astro Van or Pick up Truck?

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok so I'm in the market for something new. I'm thinking of an astro van or a truck. Id like the van but I could only use it for detailing. If I got a truck I would keep my trailer and then could still use the truck as a driver.

So I need some pros and cons from people that own a truck and people that own an astro van. What kind of gas mileage do you get with the van? Does it pull fine or is it stressed with 100 gallon tank? People say the astro van is good on gas but is it really that good on gas when its loaded down? I found a nice 95 astro van for like 2k and then a nice 95 F150 for around 2k. Only problem with the truck is its a straight 6 which I'm not sure I want the 6.

So let me know what you think. Thanks!

Nick McKees37
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Go with the Astro, especially one with the 4.3 V6. With exception to a couple fuel pumps here and there, those vans are bullet proof. They are comfortable, very spacious for their size, and parts are readily available.

ShineTimeDetail
05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a good cargo one though

ALLN1WASH
05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
What's happening man? I can only comment on the Astro. I picked up a 98 this time last year, and thus far I have no complaints. Prior to the van, I pulled a trailer with a Yukon XL, so with that being my only vehicle to compare the van to as far as gas consumption, the Astro does much better. Not exactly sure the milage per gallon, but 20 bucks gets me through a full day, small engines included.

As far as the space, My trailer was 8x5 so not too much of a difference, but with the van comes added wall space. I was able to load a 100g tank, PW, AC, VAC, chemicals, polishers, 3buckets, extractor and MUCH MORE.

As far as the pulling capabilities, I'd say it does well. Once a week I still use it to haul the loaded trailer to a lot where my guys set up and roll.

Soo, IMO if you think the van your looking at is mechanically sound, GO FOR IT MAN...

ALLN1WASH
05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Have you checked craigslist? I'm always seeing them on there..

astrogus
05-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I actually been on both sides of this question. I ran my mobile business for 2 years with my 97 Astro they are BULLET PROOF reliable as heck, they take a licking and keep on ticking. The pros are they are not to bad gas consumption, and your equipment is secured from the elements inside the van. Although they are not really meant for hauling to much weight, they are only 1/2 ton suspension etc. I currently use a 98 GMC K1500 4x4 to pull my 4x6 utility trailer which i love alot better i like the fact of unhooking and putting in my garage and not having to carry everything with me at all times. I've taken a hit in the fuel bill but i like only having my tools and euipment with me when i need them. My advice would be too look into something alittle beefier for a van 98 Chevy or GMC Express van in the 2500 series heavier suspension etc. They too also come with the 4.3 V6 but id recommend the 5.7L 350 V8 u might think V8 no way thats more gas but not really when u think about the V6 struggling to pull all the weight can be just as bad if not worse.

911fanatic
05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
I ran a 97 Astro for 3 years and then switched to a 04 GMC Savanna. The Savanna(4.8L V8) got horrible mileage. Around 11. Find one with a 5.7L or 6.0L The engine was always working plus they put 4.11s in the rearend. Having said that, it was only a few mpg less than the Astro, but came with way more cargo area and a much nicer ride. Both vans ran 6 days a week for the time I had them and neither missed a day of work. I really enjoyed having everything with me. If I got a call, I didn't have to go back to my shop and hook up a trailer, I could head straight to the clients.

ShineTimeDetail
05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I like the idea of the van but still like the idea of the truck so I can unhook and still use the truck for other things. Not sure yet...

ShineTimeDetail
05-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Anyone know what a 4.3 astro van will get fully loaded and they won't struggle with the weight?

ShineTimeDetail
05-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Well I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow! First I have a nice vette to detail, a dodge caravan to detail, then I'm going to an auction lot for three things. First is to talk to the owner to see if I can get on washing the cars before auctions(all government seized cars) he gets about 50 cars every 2 weeks. My cousin also works there and he just got a repo safari with 123K and its a 2001 for $1500. After that I have a prospective client that owns a dealership so I may get a car from them to detail.

Well the van is a passenger van so it has the windows. Is there a way to put in barring so people can't just break the window and take stuff? I guess it doesn't matter they can just break the front window. It would be nice to buy the van tomorrow cause for the next few days its going to rain.

How do you guys bolt stuff down in the van?

ShineTimeDetail
05-19-2011, 04:04 PM
So is 185k too many miles on an 98 astro rwd

bevans
05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I dk about the astro vans but the straight 6 never dies. Those things run forever and they get pretty decent mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineTimeDetail
05-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I hear the straight 6 from everyone gets horrible gas mileage.

ShineTimeDetail
05-21-2011, 10:08 PM
So I drove some astro vans today and the awd one seemed like it didn't have much pick up and go. The rwd seemed better. So an astro van will pull ok completely loaded down? Will it struggle?

911fanatic
05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
My Astro got 13-14mpg fully loaded. It never struggled with the weight, even with the full water tank in the back.