PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized wheels: what to use to clean/shine?

FastZR1
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a boat that I keep detailed and in very good condition. Boat lives in my garage on a galvanized trailer. The wheels on the trailer are also galvanized and I want to clean them up. They are dirty and need to be scrubbed down but I want to try and shine up the wheels a bit after a good cleaning. I know I can't make the galvanized look like aluminum but what should I use for them? I was thinking about trying a metal wax from WG or maybe some Collinate 850. I don't have any metal polishes/waxes in my arsenal so I'm open to options. I do a review once I get there.

Anyone have any recommendations? The trailer is normally dunked into brackish water with a couple saltwater drops. I want to make the wheels look good like the boat.

Thanks,
Ed

Perfections
05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Your not gonna make them look great but durability wise the collinite metal wax is something else, if I'm going to polish then seal, try optimum metal wax followed with collinite for durability, this is time consuming though and on galvanized looks without a machine to polish will be minimal

RTexasF
05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I was in the boating industry for 20 years and never found anything to make galvanized wheels/trailers look better that didn't destroy the finish. Look at it this way.....they won't get any uglier than they are now so just wash them and be done with it.

FastZR1
05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Yea, you guys are probably right. I guess I could spend the time on more usefull things like the boat or truck that pulls the boat. I would love to put some nice aluminum wheels on but if the salt gets under the clear they will look worse than the galvanized.
Thanks guys.