PDA

View Full Version : Slight scratches in the windshield from the wipers. Have read many choices. Which one is best?

Felix C
05-17-2011, 03:34 PM
New person here. Did keyword search and read some of the dedicated Brand forums of the products marketed to repair/diminsh this problem. Have also been reading here and autopeida, and the dedicated make/model website.

Have 2004 GTO which is equipped with Pilkington glass. Soft glass I gather from the GTO boards.
Have some slight scratches on the windshield from the wipers. I guess the rubber tips hardened in the Florida sun and caused the problem. There are slight lines visible which trace the wiper arcs. I tried to claybar last weekend without result. The scratches feel smooth(no fingernail grabbing) but are visible in certain light both in/out of the car.

I would like to make the correct choice on the first occasion. I intended to Girot Polish but was recomended to use Detailer's Pro Series Glass Restorer by the company I intended to purchase GG. Elected to research and a few more searches led me here where I have see there are other products and the Detailer's Pro Series Glass Restorer was not easy to work with. Hence the long post.

Folks, what is the best way to handle this short of a windshield replacement or investing in a professional equipment. The Diamondite glass repair system appears suitable for someone who earns a living detailing. I just wish to maintain my own car as best possible.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Phillips
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
The best way to remove "light" scratches out of glass is using a rotary buffer.

The Griot's Garage DA is a safe version of a rotary buffer in that using common-sense pressure you can't stop appropriately sized pads from rotating so you could try using this tool in place of a rotary buffer.

As for a chemical that can "abrade" glass to level the surface that at the same time won't instill scratches into the glass you need something with Cerium Oxide.

You need the chemical and the glass polishing pads...

:)

Mike Phillips
05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Posted at 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM

New person here.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry we missed your post yesterday...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Felix C
05-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the information.
Since posting the OP above, I was advised by an acquaintance regarding Florida Law 627.7288 which allows for windshield replacement by one's insurance company if they have comprehensive coverage. I confirmed this with a local auto glass company and they will provide the OEM Pilkington glass. I may go this route.

I still wish to protect my windshield and will inspect the wiper blades more frequently. I never had this issue and have resided in South Florida all my car owning years.