PDA

View Full Version : bit of an odd question

Shane731
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
OK, I have a bit of an odd question. I have a problem I'm not sure many people have had. We have a 1990 Honda Accord, all original paint (BC/CC system), and it seems that no matter how I prep or what wax or sealant I use, it will not stick to the paint. In essence, it's like it wears off after 2-3 weeks. A few examples: I applied Duragloss 105 to it once, and a week later took some pictures (see this thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/26539-page-ranking-duragloss-105-a.html)) after it had rained, and the beading had noticeably decreased. Another time, I washed, clayed, and applied 1 coat of Klasse AIO and 3 coats of Klasse SG (over the course of a week), and within about 3 weeks it was like there was hardly any wax on it at all. Several weeks ago, I washed, clayed, applied DG 601 followed by 105, and then applied Collinite 476 the next day. Same thing - 3-4 weeks later, no signs of strong protection. A week ago, I did a wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, clayed, and did a coat of Collinite 845. When I did a maintenance wash today, the beading was noticeably diminished. I typically notice a decrease in signs of protection on the horizontal panels first, followed by the vertical panels. I have had this problem for quite some time now, and after having tried everything I can think of, I am at my wit's end. I hate having to wax every 3-4 weeks out of necessity. This car is a daily driver that sits outside 24/7, BTW. My only thought is to do a weekly spray wax with either Optimum Car Wax or Meguiar's Synthetic XPress Spray Wax (which really won't work in the winter), or do a coating like CQuartz. I'm just afraid the coating won't "stick". This is the only one of our cars I have this problem on, so I don't think it's me. Any thoughts or theories on this? Is there something else I should try, or should I just accept this as unexplained phenomenon? Maybe I should call in Agent Mulder to investigate? Thanks for your help guys!

http://virgin1.virginmedia.com/images/david-d1.jpg

Setec Astronomy
05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Sounds like maybe that paint is reaching the end of its life. I had a mirror that had incipient CC failure on it and I could wax it with something like #16 and it would look ok for about a week. I'm just wondering if you aren't on the edge of the CC starting to disappear and that is the reason for the lack of longevity.

Shane731
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds like maybe that paint is reaching the end of its life. I had a mirror that had incipient CC failure on it and I could wax it with something like #16 and it would look ok for about a week. I'm just wondering if you aren't on the edge of the CC starting to disappear and that is the reason for the lack of longevity.

Could be, but I just don't see any signs of potential CC failure. This pic is from about a year ago:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/P6050239.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19471/size/big/cat/ppuser/24886)

and the car still looks like that. No faded or hazy spots, no white spots, no checking marks, nothing of that nature. I suppose I could try to find a detailer around that had a paint meter who could tell me the shape the paint is in, but I don't know. Do you think a coating would help or be a waste of money in this case?

Setec Astronomy
05-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, sounds like you've inspected pretty thoroughly for CC issues. I dunno...the pollen has been wreaking havoc on my LSP's for the past few weeks, could it be as simple as that?

Dr Oldz
05-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Interesting... I do find the pollen to be brutal this year tho. That is a possibility. Nubas haven't lasted too long so far this year but it seems like UPGP is holding up very well for me. I had Fuzion on my truck and after 3 weeks the beading qualities were greatly diminished due to the pollen.

Shane731
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
bump