PDA

View Full Version : HELP, water spots on C.Quartz

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kelley386
05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Okay so i applied C.Quartz exactly a week ago, so i waited the full 7 days before washing with soap. I did spray off with water every day after day 2. I did not dry because there was still surface dirt and stuff that didnt get washed off but for the most part c quartz is very self cleaning. I love the look, but i washed today with soap and was very excited to finally get all those waterspots off that had been there since day 2, well i washed and they didnt come off, and even after ReLoad, they are still there. Here is a pic of that they look like on the hood, this is after ReLoad. Did i screw up big time or is this reversible?

richy
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Tyler, I have found if the car sits in the sun with water on it, it will spot. Try some vinegar on a mf. Spray it on the panel, more on a mf, and wipe it down. Let it dwell for a few minutes and then do a rinse off or ONR and dry it in the shade. Let me know how that works for you.

kelley386
05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Tyler, I have found if the car sits in the sun with water on it, it will spot. Try some vinegar on a mf. Spray it on the panel, more on a mf, and wipe it down. Let it dwell for a few minutes and then do a rinse off or ONR and dry it in the shade. Let me know how that works for you.

Thanks richy!

I will definitely try that, but other than that the truck looks great with C. Quartz, and after a wash today, no swirls, no micro marring, and hardly any water left on it before drying!

I will try to get around to trying the vinegar tommorow, this will not hurt the coating in any way?

richy
05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks richy!

I will definitely try that, but other than that the truck looks great with C. Quartz, and after a wash today, no swirls, no micro marring, and hardly any water left on it before drying!

I will try to get around to trying the vinegar tommorow, this will not hurt the coating in any way?

Nope, although it may give you a craving for French Fries....

kelley386
05-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Nope, although it may give you a craving for French Fries....

Haha, i personally hate the way vinegar smells, and ketchup, and especially mayonaise! but im glad i listened to all your forum posts about the coatings, they are the way to go. Now my mom cant threaten to take my PC away from me for not studying hahaha.

And check this out, they covered our road with "loose rock"... There are even new county signs that say "Loose Rock" all over the place on our road. So i got like one little rock chip. So i am sending the county a bill for a 50ml bottle of C. Quartz and another Dr. Colorchip kit! Everybody on my road has been sending them bills for rock chip repairs and dings and windshields with results so I will take advantage over it!

fishnugget
05-16-2011, 11:44 PM
My wife decided to park near sprinklers at work and the front hood got a bunch of water spots. This was so frustrating after having added Cquartz to her car only a month ago. I am going to try the vinegar method.

kelley386
05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
My wife decided to park near sprinklers at work and the front hood got a bunch of water spots. This was so frustrating after having added Cquartz to her car only a month ago. I am going to try the vinegar method.
I didnt get around to trying this today because i had to work until dark, did you by chance get an apportunity to try the vinegar method? If i cant get them off i am going to polish it off and go with opti-coat, i cant beleive i spent 9 hours prepping and applying C Quartz for this to happen.

fishnugget
05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I didnt get around to trying this today because i had to work until dark, did you by chance get an apportunity to try the vinegar method? If i cant get them off i am going to polish it off and go with opti-coat, i cant beleive i spent 9 hours prepping and applying C Quartz for this to happen.

I feel your pain...

I told my wife I would not polish her car anymore but that most likely wont happen because its too addicting, haha.

To answer your question, I only had apple cider vinegar (5% acid) and it did not do much. I have not gone to the store to go buy the vinegar. I am not sure how much different apple cider vinegar is from regular vinegar. I will post results once I get a hand on regular vinegar.

richy
05-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I have asked Avi to add any suggestions he might have. It should be posted by morning as he is about 6 hours ahead of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avi@CarPro
05-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi
Sorry for my late reply,
not sure vinegar will help here,
seems you had some kind of acid rain which merged in the coat.
its not because of your washing , i think it happen before the wash , while raining.
the way to remove it is by using wax clean product,
like this product :

all in one polish, car polish wax, cleaner wax, best car wax polish, Klasse All In One, one step polish wax, AIO wax, AIO paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/all-in-one-cleaner-wax.html)
use by hand , buff and wipe off

it will not affect the cquartz! no need to worry about that..

we are working now to make the cquartz more acid resistance so this wont happen again,
using reload after cquartz application will help preventing this in the meantime.

sohail99
05-18-2011, 05:45 AM
^So can we protect Cquartz with other sealants/waxes as well?

Avi@CarPro
05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
You can use nuba base wax on the cquartz if you want, or water base sealant, not solvent base
Cquartz need to crystallized, this takes time, normally within 48 hours its completely dried.

we are working on improving more the acid rain resistance now.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Let me understand this correctly, Cquatrz is supposed to resist water spots(minus acid rain) even if the car is rinsed and sits in the hot sun without manually drying?

Mike Phillips
05-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Keep in mind, water spots are either topical, that is a mineral sitting on top of the surface and for these types of spots Vinegar "might" work.

Other water spots are actually sub-surface or etchings or craters or possibly etched "rings" in the surface.

This could be in the surface of the coating, or in the paint.

If it's in the coating, be thankful because in the context and contrast of repainting a panel on your car, removing and re-applying a coating will be easier, faster and something you can do.

Most of us can't repaint our own car if the etchings or craters are too deep.

When sprinklers go off next to your car, you will be lucky if the problem is what is generally referred to as Hard Water Spots, which is actually Minerals dissolved in the water and then when the water evaporates the minerals remain on the surface.

Hope there isn't some type of chemical or substance in the water that makes it corrosive enough to etch, eat or dissolve your car's clear coat paint.

Meguiar's and Duragloss both make water spot removers.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/WaterSpotRemovers.jpg

The first sentence in the product description on the back of the Meguiar's label reads,

Specifically formulated to chemically break down and remove hard water MINERALs off the surface.

When I worked for Meguiar's the common question about this product is can it be used on automotive paints and the company answer at that time was all the field testing was done on Marine surfaces in Marine environments.

My experienced guess is that it won't in and of itself harm a clear coat surface.

Two comments...
The average person doesn't know the difference between a topical mineral deposit, (Type I Water Spot), or a sub-surface etching, (Type II Water Spot), and the average Joe Consumer buying this product to use on a modern clear coat to try to remove Type II Water Spots would be let down as they don't understand you would have to abrade the paint with a compound to remove Type II, thus they designate a product like this to the Marine market. Just my guess.

The first sentence in the product description on the back of the Duragloss label reads,

Formulated to easily remove water spots caused by impurities, (CALCIUM), in water.

Duragloss states it can be used for automotive finishes and it won't remove durable polishes.

My guess is they are using the word "polishes" generically to mean waxes, paint sealants or coatings, not abrasive products used to remove swirls and scratches.

Try Vinegar first since its a common recommendation for water spots, if that doesn't work check the products above.

More here on water spots...

Water Spots

New - 3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/33499-3-types-water-spots-type-i-type-ii-type-iii.html)

How To Remove Sprinkler Water Spots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/31000-how-remove-sprinkler-water-spots.html)

How to remove water spots by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html)

:xyxthumbs:

fishnugget
05-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info and the suggestions, Mike and Avi. :)

Mike that was a very comprehensive and thorough review. I feel a lot smarter now. :xyxthumbs:

I don't have any Klasse on hand but I am going to stop by the store today for that vinegar and post my results.

I hope I have Type I and not Type II water spots.