PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Air Compressor for Interior Blow Out?

certifiedjax
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm looking for a portable air compressor to just use for blowing our air vents, cup holders, underneath seats, interior crevices etc before vacuuming when detailing interiors. What's my best option for something I can lug around with me in the Subaru (I do ONR washes). I was looking at this one:

Campbell Hausfeld 3 Gallon Air Compressor Kit 100PSI - eBay (item 130516551934 end time Jun-02-11 19:54:41 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130516551934&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

This one's only $65 with FREE SHIPPING. It sells for $75+ tax at Wal-Mart. What are some other options for what I'm trying to accomplish? Do I need a certain gallon size? Will I be able to refill this thing with my generator? Looking not to spend more than $150 or so because I'll only be using it for interior blowing, maybe an occasional engine bay blast to clear out leaves/twigs etc before my ONR washes. Thank you!

Jacob
Certified Mobile Detail | Jacksonville Mobile Car Wash | Jacksonville Car Detailing - Home (http://www.certifiedmobiledetail.com)

fredcandetail
05-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I had a cheapy like that one to and I could barely blow out 4 windows sills before it had to kick on again to refill the tank, I would venture to say that at the least maybe 6 gallons or so

MaximumMD
05-16-2011, 10:54 PM
I am looking inti the same thing. The important thing us the scfm. That one has a scfm of .39 @ 90psi not much like it days good
For a nail gun and that is about it. For example
a paint gun uses around 4 scfm and a
Die grinder is in the ball park of 6-9 scfm. I would say that no this won't blow under seats long enough and a waste of money. I saw one that had 2 scfm I think I will get it someday. I'll try to find the link and let you know

C. Charles Hahn
05-16-2011, 10:57 PM
To be honest, your best bet will be to look for something with at least maybe 8-12 gallons. Have you checked for used ones on Craigslist by chance? That's really the best place to score a deal if you're on a budget.

MaximumMD
05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Ok lied it's cfm minus the 's' anyway this is the one that I'm looking at.
ProForce VPF1080318 - Pro-Force 3-Gallon Hot Dog Air Compressor (http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/ProForce-VPF1080318-Air-Compressor/p3668.html)

certifiedjax
05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Is 8-12 gallons going to be too big to carry around in my Subaru Forester? I already have three large plastic bins, a 2-part bucket, a Ridgid wet/dry, a milk crate with spray bottles, a generator, a step ladder, etc so it's a little cramped... I wanted something I could just sit on the rear floorboard or something...

C. Charles Hahn
05-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Is 8-12 gallons going to be too big to carry around in my Subaru Forester? I already have three large plastic bins, a 2-part bucket, a Ridgid wet/dry, a milk crate with spray bottles, a generator, a step ladder, etc so it's a little cramped... I wanted something I could just sit on the rear floorboard or something...

Hmm... yeah if you're already that loaded down 8-12 isn't likely to work.

You might be stuck with a small pancake compressor unfortunately, and that will work but it's marginal at best for producing long bursts of air.

maximus20895
05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Why wouldn't a metro vac work?

Mobile detail
06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
I have that CH compressor and it is WORTHLESS for auto detailing. I used it for doing air brush painting and it had a hard time keeping up with that. For detailing I use a 6 or 8 gal (dont remember which it is) Craftsman pancake compressor and I really like it. Its small and powerful. It works well for blowing out interiors and it runs my Tornador as well. Those cheap compressors are only for inflating tires and basketballs. Don't waste your money. You'll end up buying a better one anyway.