PDA

View Full Version : Ok Where Did I go Wrong?!

malmeh
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Guys, I've been surfing the forum for over two months now, I recieved my first order from AG two weeks ago. (Thanx Meghan, excellent packaging and service)

Anyway, I started on my brother's black infinity FX35, Here's what i did.
1. washed with pinnaccle shampoo and shmitt.
2. Dried with cobra MF. (loved the Shmitt and Guzzler)
3. Clayed
4. washed again
5. used the pc on speed 6 and orange pad with xmt3 applied pressure of arround 10kgs, i worked the polish for a few minutes then lessened the pressure on the pc, as in the training video. After i finnished i cleaned the surface with the Mf towel provided with the XMT kit. The paint looked shiny but it didn't remove hair like scraches. What did i miss? i did the process twice but didn't remove the scraches.

pt91
01-08-2007, 08:55 PM
How deep are the scratches? Does your fingernail catch them if you run it over the scratches?

malmeh
01-08-2007, 08:57 PM
How deep are the scratches? Does your fingernail catch them if you run it over the scratches?

No they are fine scratches..

Surfer
01-08-2007, 08:59 PM
No they are fine scratches..Try going over with XMT2 and see what happens, sometimes the more agressive cutting polishes can leave marring that resembles scratches that weren't removed, just a by-product of the abrassive in come polishes. If not, try XMT3 and cutting pad again and work longer.

Are you working the PC slowly at full speed, about an inch per second or so?

abrcrombe
01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, probably micromarring, try a less aggressive combo and see what happens. If it is what I think it is, it should clean up nicely to a perfect looking finish! Let us know how it works.

malmeh
01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Try going over with XMT2 and see what happens, sometimes the more agressive cutting polishes can leave marring that resembles scratches that weren't removed, just a by-product of the abrassive in come polishes. If not, try XMT3 and cutting pad again and work longer.

Are you working the PC slowly at full speed, about an inch per second or so?

I worked the polish slowly at speed 6 then I finnished with XMT1 and white pad then followed by XMT Glaze but still i can see the scraches..

joe.p
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
It sounds like the scratches are what malmeh is trying to remove..

Rule of thumb..Drag the back of your finger nail of the scrarch if the nail catches the sratch it is to deep to remove..Remember to work the polish long enough to give the abbrasives a chance to break down..

malmeh
01-08-2007, 10:03 PM
It sounds like the scratches are what malmeh is trying to remove..

Rule of thumb..Drag the back of your finger nail of the scrarch if the nail catches the sratch it is to deep to remove..Remember to work the polish long enough to give the abbrasives a chance to break down..

I don't think that they're that deep and i guess i've worked the polish enough that it was clear. Does the pc vibrate? maybe it wasnn't set up properly?:confused:

bambo2888
01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't think that they're that deep and i guess i've worked the polish enough that it was clear. Does the pc vibrate? maybe it wasnn't set up properly?:confused:

i know what you are talking about, dude. I am in teh exact same boat and its frustrating as hell. everyone claims to have such great results with XMT, but I am just not seeing it. I mean, dont ge tme wrong, i have noticed a 110% improvement, but its the 120% I am looking for, especially since I know for a fact that the remaining marks are NOT too deep to be removed (they do not catch the nail in the slightest bit). :mad::mad:

P1et
01-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I have found that when using an aggressive pad like the orange one that you really need to take your time with the white pad. I just recently did the doors on my truck and rushed the white pad. It doesn't look very good at the moment! Take your time, apply some pressure and do small areas at a time.

Surfer
01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
If you guys are finishing up with the white pad in the Edge kit, try the blue pad, it's still soft but with a tad more bite then the finishing pad, I actually use it the most when finishing.

malmeh
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I will try and give it another shot :D

Surfer
01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I will try and give it another shot :DTry maybe XMT2 witha light cutting pad (like Edge orange or green), then follow up with XMT1 on the blue Edge pad (only b/c that pad has a little more bite then the finishing pad. If that doesn't remove the marring, might need a rotary. I've had time where some scratches didn't look bad or deep but I couldn't get Optimum Compound on an yellow Edge cutting pad at speed 6 to budge them, and that compound is basically as strong as it gets to effectively use with the PC.