PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Lexus ES 350 / D151

Y2KSVT
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I'll be detailing my neighbor's 2011 Lexus ES 350 here in the coming weeks as a trade for him installing a big brake upgrade on my car. I don't know the name of the color, but it's the dark metallic gray that is pretty popular with Lexus. I'm wondering if anyone can provide their experience with this paint. Is it fairly easy to polish, or is it a fairly hard clear? Do you think D151 will finish down nicely? I bought a gallon of it and haven't tried it out yet. I'm low on M205 and don't have anything else on hand. It's a daily driven car that sits outside 24/7, so perfection isn't 100% necessary. The car had some holograms from the factory or dealership, which is the primary focus. Do you suppose D151 and a PC7424XP will do the trick? I'll be using LC flat orange and white pads. I'll probably just finish it with a Natty's Paste Wax as opposed to DP Poli Coat since he'll probably just end up taking the car through an auto wash the following week, anyway.

So fellow AG'ers, your experience is appreciated as I don't have any experience with this type of car, or with D151. I don't want to buy any other polishes or compounds if I don't need to right now.

Mark

Y2KSVT
05-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Bueller? Bueller.....? Feed back please

Mark

richy
05-17-2011, 07:50 AM
To be honest, it really doesn't matter what anyone's opinion of the paint hardness is. It's your experience that matters. Besides, what I might consider medium, you might consider hard. The answer, always, in my book is to test the worse section out and see what aggressiveness you need to accomplish your goal. If the hood is the worse, you might be able to dial back the aggressiveness on the sides even. You just have to size up every panel on its own needs. Have a variety of pads from foam to wool and a variety of products and you will be able to handle whatever comes your way.

HeavyMetal
05-17-2011, 07:59 AM
My RAV4 is the same color - the dark metallic grey. It polishes fairly easily using WG TSR on an orange pad and WG FG on a white pad. Of course, you're not really polishing the base color, you're polishing the clear. I polished my wife's 2011 Obsidian Black Lexus ES using WG TSR and FG both on a white pad as an initial test. That was not agressive enough to remove all of the swirls and harilines. It got about 80%. I'll be re-doing with the same combo I used on my RAV. I have not used D151 but hopefully that's enough info to get you started.

BobbyG
05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey Mark,

If you've never used Meguiar's D151 you're in for a surprise!

Meguiar's D151 is a very nice one step product. It's designed to be aggressive enough to remove severe defects with a cutting pad, wool or yellow, and by switching to a green or white foam pad finishes up nicely producing a gorgeous shine.

I've even removed holograms with this product by using it with a gray foam pad. :props:

Forgot to mention use the 5 1/2" pads on your dual action polisher for better results.

fredcandetail
05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
I have yet to encounter any 2011 paint that is horribly hard ... Lexus IME has medium hardness and a 2011 car would prob be a knock down... I read that a paint develops it's overall hardness as a result of how it's cared for ... Would a far that sits outside have harder paint than a garage queen ... Probably so.
Do a test spot with the white pad and 151 and you should be happy

Y2KSVT
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the comments, Richy. I don't detail for a living, and having just gotten into the hobby this past fall, I don't have the variety of tools and products that most of the people on here have. I was hoping someone might be able to comment on whether I might be taking on too much with the PC7424XP and D151 with LC flat pads. Hopefully the Lexus clear is nothing like what I've heard the Corvette clear is. Maybe I'll go do a test spot in the coming days so I know whether I'll need a more aggressive compound. I'm not in the position to purchase a rotary, nor do I want to learn how to use one on a brand new Lexus. :xyxthumbs:

Mark

Y2KSVT
05-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks, guys! That makes me feel quite a bit better about tackling his car. I've heard great things about D151 and I'm limited to the PCXP and orange and white LC flat pads. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the combination!

Mark

WRAPT C5Z06
05-17-2011, 10:08 AM
I've even removed holograms with this product by using it with a gray foam pad. :props:

Whoa! :props:

richy
05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the comments, Richy. I don't detail for a living, and having just gotten into the hobby this past fall, I don't have the variety of tools and products that most of the people on here have. I was hoping someone might be able to comment on whether I might be taking on too much with the PC7424XP and D151 with LC flat pads. Hopefully the Lexus clear is nothing like what I've heard the Corvette clear is. Maybe I'll go do a test spot in the coming days so I know whether I'll need a more aggressive compound. I'm not in the position to purchase a rotary, nor do I want to learn how to use one on a brand new Lexus. :xyxthumbs:

Mark

My pleasure Mark. I wasn't trying to imply you should get a rotary. My comments were a guideline to tackling the issue of assessing paint hardness. Your DA is a lot better equipped to handle a lot more serious paint issues than ever before due to the new Megs system as well as the Surbuff pads. Try your milder pads first and see how it goes and move up as necessary. To me, that's the fun part: seeing what works.

D_Nyholm
05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
D151 is a great product, it can remove some decent defects, leaves a nice slick feeling behind, and offers a little bit of protection as well (maybe 2 months if you are lucky). You can easily use it with an orange pad and white pad, though with the orange pad, be careful of any marring left behind. D151 also seems to have a bunch of fillers in it as it can really hide A LOT. I used a Purple Foamed Wool pad with SIP on a rotary and followed up with D151 on a Hydrotech Tangerine pad and Flex on a black F250 and it looked great. I didn't do any IPA wipedowns and when i saw the truck a month later, there were some very slight buffer trails that I could see in the right light. It was a stupid mistake on my part, but remember that initial looks can be decieving!

CakeDaddy
05-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Mark,

If you've never used Meguiar's D151 you're in for a surprise!

Meguiar's D151 is a very nice one step product. It's designed to be aggressive enough to remove severe defects with a cutting pad, wool or yellow, and by switching to a green or white foam pad finishes up nicely producing a gorgeous shine.

Forgot to mention use the 5 1/2" pads on your dual action polisher for better results.

Nice! Grey pad...that was the answer I was looking for. I wonder if Megs will sell a smaller bottle of the D151:buffing: The 1 gallon seems a little much in my opinion. 32oz would be excellent!!!!!