PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any phobias?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Shane731
05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been thinking about this topic for the last couple of days. Now, you don't have to answer if you don't want to or share anything too personal that makes you uncomfortable, but I'm curious what people are afraid of. I find fears to be a very interesting thing - something that might scare one person to death does not bother somebody else. Are our fears unique to us? Where do they come from? So, what are you afraid of? I'll start. I am deathly afraid of heights. I do not do well at all in high places. My legs feel like rubber and my heart starts to beat a little faster. I am claustrophobic - even the thought of me being in a small confined space unable to move around would probably send me into a panic. I have a fear of being chased. I also hate spiders, but have no problem killing them. OK, your turn.

SeaJay's
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I use to be deathly afraid of heights as well. I still am not completely over the heights thing but for the most part I'm fine now.

I dislike snakes, they just creep me out, but I wouldn't say I'm scared of them.

FUNX650
05-16-2011, 01:23 PM
-Medomalacuphobia :D
-Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

Besides these...hardly any others :)

reality33
05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Spiders.... If one gets near me I freeze, sweat profusely and just feel almost helpless. It blows.

thank god I have a wife who can pick them up without issue.

panthercz
05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
A home invasion.
Something bad happening to my wife, daughter or pug.

Not snakes...I've got 16 of them. :)

maluminas
05-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't think i have any phobias. I hate spiders though, they creep me out. If i know there's a spider in my bedroom i won't be able to sleep until i kill/move it. If i try to stomp it and miss and it falls/skitters behind some furniture i will shift the whole room to reach the intruder, no mercy... Oddly, spiders in any other room barely bother me lol

BobbyG
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Spiders and snakes don't scare me
Things that go bump in the night don't scare me
Walking to a tree stand during hunting season at 4:00am and it's pitch back bothers me but doesn't scare me.
Bad guys with guns don't scare me...because I carry one too.

If I had to say the only thing I'm afraid of is the fear of unrestrained heights..

Way back in the last century I was dressed in green and jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft...several times... That didn't scare me

Repelling down a sheer cliff....That didn't scare me

Being up on an 32 foot extension ladder trying to remove an old antenna on the side of my house...That scared me!!

CEE DOG
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Cool thread idea Shane! :props:

Nice Bobby! :dblthumb2:

Edit: I'm still thinking....

Y2KSVT
05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Water. I was thrown into a standard sized, above ground pool when I was 8 or 9. Most people at that age knew how to swim, but I hadn't really been around water at that point. I swallowed what felt to me like a lot of water. Since that day I've never felt comfortable around water. I even dropped out of swim lessons when I was 12, once we got to the point where we had to start doing under water breathing techniques. I'll be 30 this year and I don't see this fear going away. It's psychological I think, so it's frustrating when people tell me to take an adult swim class, as if the 17 year old instructor will be able to cure what's going on in my head.

Mark

catfish07
05-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Roaches!!!! any kind but the big ones creep me out. i don't have to be but 20' from one and i'm out of there. oh, i can't do grasshoppers either... uuuuuuggggg!!!!!!!

Meghan
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Claustrophobia, a little afraid of flying but getting better, and afraid of heights, I even hate climbing latters!

Kaleb G.
05-16-2011, 02:39 PM
My mom... love her to death, but she scares the hell out of me!

Crazy Amos
05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Spiders. Especailly the ones that jump.

cmichael258
05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I saw an article about a year ago that the 2nd most common phobia in the U.K. is the fear of clowns.....go figure.

:confused:

S2K
05-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a fear of swirls!

(I can't believe no one jumped on that yet)