PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirls from a vinyl Wrap

Transcendent
05-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a customer that wants the swirld taken out of her vinyl wrap on her hood. Im assumin that m205 and a polishing pad would do the trick but i have never attempted to remove swirls from vinyl and would like a little more info before i attempt it. She says she has had it done before so that what makes me think it can be done.

kelley386
05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Heres a link to some wrap polish...

CrystalTek Wrap Wash and Wrap Polish (http://www.corbingraphics.com/accessories_wrapproducts.htm)

I think m205 would do it though, i use that stuff on EVERYTHING!

MaximumMD
05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I have heard but never do one myself. I have been told though to use a light polish m205 should be fine and slow sPeed. The main concern is generating to much heat and warping the vinyl

Transcendent
05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I have heard but never do one myself. I have been told though to use a light polish m205 should be fine and slow sPeed. The main concern is generating to much heat and warping the vinyl
Awesome thanks for the advice and guess im posting a how-to after i get it done lol... well that is if i dont warp her vinyl and she bludgeons me to death with my DA. Set the job up for wed so it should be fun.

MaximumMD
05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Yea I saw a buddy of mine doing it on a fresh clear r
Bra that was just put on. He said the main worry is just the heat. Said vinyl heats up super fast. Good luck let us know how it goes

jlb85
05-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Caution: if the wrap is matte do not polish. If it is not matte, M205 on a black pad on speed 4 or 5 is good enough. Do not expect miracles, at the most you will see an improvement in clarity and transparency, but swirls, etching, etc will remain. The wrap is intended, aside from aesthetic, to be a sacrificial barrier in lieu of paint. When it gets to bad, time to replace.

SeaJay's
05-16-2011, 07:11 AM
I think m205 would do it though, i use that stuff on EVERYTHING!

LOL all I can think of is the Franks Red Hot commercials...."I put that *beep* on everything!"

I have to agree some M205 and a polishing back should do the trick. Just be careful about heat build up on the vinyl.

Mike Phillips
05-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Keep in mind,

Swirls are scratches, that is they are below surface defects

To remove swirls you must abrade the surface enough so that you level the upper most surface until it is level with the lowest depths of the swirls/scratches you're trying to remove.

Some coatings, (paint), and some materials, (plastic), don't always lend themselves to being abraded with the end result looking good and/or original.

I would recommend doing a Test Spot first and make sure you're choice of pad, product and procedure will make one small spot look good before attempting to tackle the entire car.

:)