PDA

View Full Version : what should i ask for?

StephenK
05-15-2011, 09:46 AM
well i have an interview tomorrow on a car dealership that has 1 location that deals with "normal" cars like Honda Mazda Ford Chevy etc ....... and across the street they sell higher end cars such has Porsche Bentley Ferrari Lamborghini. the second one is the location i am interviewing for. i started detailing in dealerships 15 years ago at a Honda dealership and made $12/hr. i am only assuming dealing with those higher end cars that are willing to pay more than what is paid at the "normal" car dealerships. am i work in thinking this way? i was thinking of asking them somewhere around $18-20/hr. and just to let you know how the dealership found me. well my dad had his 94 TT Supra on Ebay and this dealership bought it. when he took it in to sell the cleanlyness of the car was brought up and dad told them i detailed it about 2 years ago. he said the sales person had a impressed look on his face so my dad asked if they needed a detailer. before he was able to finish asking the sales person said yes. so the way i see it is they came looking for me after seeing my work and that should be worth a pretty penny or two. so what would you guys ask for pay in this situation? thanks for all replys

richy
05-15-2011, 10:13 AM
well i have an interview tomorrow on a car dealership that has 1 location that deals with "normal" cars like Honda Mazda Ford Chevy etc ....... and across the street they sell higher end cars such has Porsche Bentley Ferrari Lamborghini. the second one is the location i am interviewing for. i started detailing in dealerships 15 years ago at a Honda dealership and made $12/hr. i am only assuming dealing with those higher end cars that are willing to pay more than what is paid at the "normal" car dealerships. am i work in thinking this way? i was thinking of asking them somewhere around $18-20/hr. and just to let you know how the dealership found me. well my dad had his 94 TT Supra on Ebay and this dealership bought it. when he took it in to sell the cleanlyness of the car was brought up and dad told them i detailed it about 2 years ago. he said the sales person had a impressed look on his face so my dad asked if they needed a detailer. before he was able to finish asking the sales person said yes. so the way i see it is they came looking for me after seeing my work and that should be worth a pretty penny or two. so what would you guys ask for pay in this situation? thanks for all replys

So, they're referencing a car you did 2 years ago? You need them to make it personal. Offer to do one of their cars for $20/hr and let them see the value to your work. Then they are going to be much more willing to pay the price on a regular basis. Makes sense?

FUNX650
05-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Best of luck on your interview! Just wondering if this is this a full-time position/40 hours work week/2080 hours per year?

Based on your 15 years of experience and the average salary of dealership Detailers in the midwest ($31,000-$53,000...with 15 years of experience) asking for $20 per hour would put you at $41,600 annually, about mid-range.

This salary could be boosted by:
-Overtime pay
-Vacation pay
-Annual bonuses
-Commisions
-Health Care package

IMO, It wouldn't hurt to find out the plausibility of the above items during the interview, or if they're even on the table.

Be prepared. Once again, Good Luck.

StephenK
05-15-2011, 10:27 AM
So, they're referencing a car you did 2 years ago? You need them to make it personal. Offer to do one of their cars for $20/hr and let them see the value to your work. Then they are going to be much more willing to pay the price on a regular basis. Makes sense?

i detailed the car 2 years ago but since then i have been the only one to wash it and keep it clean. so it is not like i have not touched it in last 2 years. but i do see your point. and to be honest i do not even know what they are gonna offer. i just dont want to go in there looking for $18 and get offered $12.

StephenK
05-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Best of luck on your interview! Just wondering if this is this a full-time position/40 hours work week/2080 hours per year?

Based on your 15 years of experience and the average salary of dealership Detailers in the midwest ($31,000-$53,000) asking for $20 per hour would put you at $41,600 annually, about mid-range.

This salary could be boosted by:
-Overtime pay
-Vacation pay
-Annual bonuses
-Commisions
-Health Care package

IMO, It wouldn't hurt to find out the plausibility of the above items during the interview, or if they're even on the table.

Be prepared. Once again, Good Luck.

yes this is a full time position on their payroll.

FUNX650
05-15-2011, 10:34 AM
yes this is a full time position on their payroll.

Great---once again be prepared---get the details/facts on detailer's salaries in your area---Don't sell yourself short!

StephenK
05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Great---once again be prepared---get the details/facts on detailer's salaries in your area---Don't sell yourself short!

where did you find the salary range at?

FUNX650
05-15-2011, 10:57 AM
where did you find the salary range at?

Each State has a Labor Dept. and within that agency there is a Wage and Hourly division. Also, there are the State Unemployment Bureaus that can provide such info. (This is sometimes called the "prevailing wage" and can vary State to State)

Hope this helps.