PDA

View Full Version : Machine applied paste wax

Pages : [1] 2

Emm
05-15-2011, 06:14 AM
For those of you that like to apply paste wax via machine, if you can't "pop" the wax out of the container to apply to finish pad, how do you do it?

My Natty's red won't come out in one big piece, so I've been applying it to my PC with a plastic putty knife. I feel like I am wasting some product. Is there a better way?

BobbyG
05-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Some do and some don't.

I've heard some place it in the fridge making it pop out easier. I've never tried it, just passing along some information.

Personally, I have two methods for applying paste wax to the foam pad..

I took a regular 1" paint brush and cut the bristles back to 3/4 in length. This makes them very stiff thus allowing me to brush some of the softer paste waxes so they can be applied to the pad.
I use a putty knife and scrape the wax then place it on the pad.

Once the polisher is switched on, the friction between the pad and paint softens it wax and it spreads pretty easy.

Emm
05-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Some do and some don't.

I've heard some place it in the fridge making it pop out easier. I've never tried it, just passing along some information.

Personally, I have two methods for applying paste wax to the foam pad..

I took a regular 1" paint brush and cut the bristles back to 3/4 in length. This makes them very stiff thus allowing me to brush some of the softer paste waxes so they can be applied to the pad.
I use a putty knife and scrape the wax then place it on the pad.
Once the polisher is switched on, the friction between the pad and paint softens it wax and it spreads pretty easy.

Thanks Bobby, I have been using a plastic putty knife, I guess I'll keep doing it that way.

Do you apply your paste waxes by machine? I feel it is so much easier that way

BobbyG
05-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Hey Ed,

I try to apply all my waxes and sealants using my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. I don't think you can even come close to spreading waxes as consistently buy hand and it's much faster too.

Even if it's a little more work getting the paste from the container to the pad I feel the end result is worth the extra effort...:props:

cmichael258
05-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Even if it's a little more work getting the paste from the container to the pad I feel the end result is worth the extra effort

Agree....and using a plastic putty knife means no wasted product.

Emm
05-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Agree....and using a plastic putty knife means no wasted product.

Thanks, Do you apply paste wax by machine also?

cmichael258
05-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Do you apply paste wax by machine also

Yes, with a PC 7424XP

Emm
05-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I thought I was in the minority, applying by PC 7424XP.

Jaretr1
05-15-2011, 10:59 AM
At the detail class with Mr. Phillips, I believe I heard him or someone else say to use a blow dryer to the container to loosen it up???

Waxmax
05-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I often use a PC to apply paste wax and use the back of a spoon and/or my fingers to remove the wax from the container.

I use a 5.5" pad and sometimes I can swipe this size pad over the wax if the container opening is not too small.

Dr Oldz
05-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I use a paintbrush that is cut down. It applies to pad easier and still leaves the remaining product in the can neat. I really like applying by machine because you can get to wax so thin that any wax is a breeze to remove. Also applying liquids by machine basically makes a 16oz bottle last for years. I have a bottle of 845 that has been used appx 40-50 times and there is still a quarter of the bottle remaining.

BobbyG
05-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I thought I was in the minority, applying by PC 7424XP.

HA! You are now the Majority!! :dblthumb2:

john b
05-15-2011, 01:02 PM
e mail poorboys and ask them about putting it in fridge to harden it up so you can pop it out-i am sure others have contacted them with same question

Emm
05-15-2011, 02:08 PM
e mail poorboys and ask them about putting it in fridge to harden it up so you can pop it out-i am sure others have contacted them with same question

Not a bad idea, it's pretty beat up from using a palstic putty knife to remove the wax. I would probaly have to remelt it

WRAPT C5Z06
05-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Can't wait to use SN hydrid via DA!!