PDA

View Full Version : Applying Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant/Ultimate Black

StoneRaizer
05-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant was introduced in 2010 as an exterior trim protectant which claims to last weeks, even in the rain. In 2011 it was renamed Ultimate Black and positioned to compete against Back To Black, Black Wow and other trim restorers, but it's the exact same product as 2010's Ultimate Protectant. I use it and enjoy it, but it can be a little bit finicky because it has a thick lotion consistency. If applied too thick it can streak and run in the rain - the trick is to get a thin coat and work it into the trim.

Recently I had an idea http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/thinking/thinking-024.gif (http://freesmileyface.net). What tool do many of us have that makes applying thin coats of wax much easier? A dual action polisher! But... trim pieces are quite narrow so it could be difficult to get a 5.5" pad into some places. Fortunately 4" pads exist, which I found are the perfect size for cowling, rocker panels, plastic side mirrors, etc.

So, here's what I did:

- Applied a small amount of Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant to a blue 4" CCS pad. I chose blue because it's the softest pad I own. I was concerned that an orange or even white pad would damage the plastic.

- Kissed the finish to evenly distribute the product.

- Turned PC7424XP to speed 3. Since I'm working on uncoated plastic trim I didn't want to risk melting the plastic by using a higher speed.

- The little bit of product easily covered my side mirrors and cowling. Any excess I buffed off with a thick pile microfiber towel.

- To get into areas that the PC wouldn't fit into, remove the pad from the backing plate and apply by hand without adding any more product.

The next morning it rained. I didn't notice any streaking or running on the areas I applied Ultimate Protectant to so I think the PC did a great job of applying the product properly.

DaHen
05-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Hummmm. Most interesting.
Thanks for the info. :xyxthumbs: