PDA

View Full Version : Something went wrong...

Matt575
05-14-2011, 01:57 PM
So I did my first full correction ever (or so I thought). It looked really good when it left my house. Here is the thread that shows the work.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/35388-1st-full-correction-ever-used-megs-da-mf-3.html

I got the car back to finish the interior and noticed that the outside is really scratched. It looks really bad again. It's not so much swirls as it is scratches. Where did I go wrong? I used Cobra MF towels and LC foam pads to apply LS products. I know I corrected it since after I used IPA to check results. My only thought is that a pad or towel was bad and didn't know it. I'm guessing I'll have to redo the whole car again...

If a pad or towel is bad will washing it fix that or is it completely shot.

Here is a pic (not the best but it's all I got since it's raining out).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/photo-37.JPG

Im totally bummed!!!!

BobbyG
05-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Matt,

Can you tell me what I'm looking at?

I see something sloping downward at maybe a 25 degree angle and what appears to be water spots.

During the correction phase scratches are either removed or they weren't. If you were successful in removing them then these have to be new but it sounds like you have many.

If something becomes permanently stuck to or lodged into a pad or cloth then I suggest not using it as it will only cause more damage down the road.

Matt575
05-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Matt,

Can you tell me what I'm looking at?

I see something sloping downward at maybe a 25 degree angle and what appears to be water spots.

During the correction phase scratches are either removed or they weren't. If you were successful in removing them then these have to be new but it sounds like you have many.

If something becomes permanently stuck to or lodged into a pad or cloth then I suggest not using it as it will only cause more damage down the road.

The car is dirty so you might be seeing that too. If you look in the middle of the light (where light is dots and not solid) you can see very small horizontal scratches.

mark58
05-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I just finished my Black Cadillac using Microfiber system and mine looks great. If I were guessing by the looks of it I would say it looks like your BACKING plate done some work for you.

loudog2
05-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Could it be the LSP? What did you use? Do another IPA wipedown to see if it goes away. If not, then yes the applicator of towel could've had debri or something in it to scratch. How many washes since the correction?

Matt575
05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I just threw away the 2 pads I used to apply LSP... I don't want a repeat of this! This hurts!

Matt575
05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Could it be the LSP? What did you use? Do another IPA wipedown to see if it goes away. If not, then yes the applicator of towel could've had debri or something in it to scratch.

It was WGDGS and liquid sovereign. Neither should do that.

dougaross
05-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Can't really tell what I'm looking at. But It is also possible that these scratches were hidden by the swirls and when you remove the swirls the scratches become much more evident.

Matt575
05-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I'll have to get some better pictures when it finally stops raining.

Lasthope05
05-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Did you ask the owner if he wiped down the paint with anything. Maybe it wasnt your work.

Ron Atchison
05-14-2011, 05:26 PM
:iagree:I would ask before you start throwing stuff away that may not had anything to do with it.

Matt575
05-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I did. It's my parents car. They have not touched it.

ScubaCougr
05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
also possible that these scratches were hidden by the swirls and when you remove the swirls the scratches become much more evident.

This was my guess too. Is it scratched on more protected areas and verticals where you also polished?

Dark cars show ever-y-thing. You probably got it to 75-80% and now the RIDS are much more obvious.

Flash Gordon
05-14-2011, 07:25 PM
The only thing I see are water spots.Take some more :Picture: after you wash

All pads should be cleaned after each use. Including LSP's

buddhadog
05-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Same thing happened to me . I polished a customers car and left it beautiful and he had me come out a couple months later just to wax it and it was all marred up.

He swore it hadnt even been washed and I was the last person to touch it . I insisted that I didnt leave it looking like that and then he remembered....... he wiped it down with a bath towel , dry(!)..........to get the dust off!:cry: