PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate when people try to pretend like they know more??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WannabeG
05-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a 2007 G35X in my garage right now that has 122k miles, and has never been detailed more than a 99cent car wash. Basically, it is quite bad.

My dad loves coming out and trying to pretend like he knows more about this stuff. For instance, I am clay baring, and its taken me about an hour so far. He comes out and starts telling me that this is taking too long and that I need to come up with a more efficient way to do this faster..... I'm like "no, actually, fast jobs look like crap. I'd rather do one good one than multiple crap ones." and other various random crap. He also told me that I should use one mitt for the whole car (wheels, tires, wheel wells) rather than switch to save time.... GAH. Why does he have to have the "Im older, therefore I know more" attitude?? Feed back please

embolism
05-14-2011, 11:26 AM
If he's giving you advice like that then tell him to detail his car and then pull yours up next to it and compare the two.

GaDetailDoc
05-14-2011, 11:33 AM
My customers often freak when I tell them how long it will take to get the job done. Sometimes I will have someone tell me that it takes two hours to do a complete detail yadya!..My usual response is why call me, if you can do it your self and achieve a professional look.

Setec Astronomy
05-14-2011, 11:48 AM
My dad loves coming out and trying to pretend like he knows more about this stuff. For instance, I am clay baring, and its taken me about an hour so far. He comes out and starts telling me that this is taking too long and that I need to come up with a more efficient way to do this faster..... I'm like "no, actually, fast jobs look like crap. I'd rather do one good one than multiple crap ones." and other various random crap. He also told me that I should use one mitt for the whole car (wheels, tires, wheel wells) rather than switch to save time.... GAH. Why does he have to have the "Im older, therefore I know more" attitude?? Feed back please

Personally, I think an hour is too long to be claying also, but...if your father just wants to give you crap, then no matter what, you will get crap. Or he could actually be trying to help. It could be that he's a little old school from back before clearcoat or before internet forums where we get a lot of these techniques drilled into our heads now. Perhaps you could meet him halfway and explain some of the reasons you do things they way you do, and maybe he'll modify some of his suggestions so they might actually be of benefit to you.

Kaban
05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Personally, I think an hour is too long to be claying also

So you can clay a car under an hour? Any size car.... Bit truck, big SUV, or a small car that hasn't been clayed for several years or EVER. Or especially a light colored car that shows every single contaminant.

I call major major BS....

Ted S.
05-14-2011, 12:00 PM
It took me two hours to clay a 2010 Corolla. I didn't need to clay the doors but did it anyways.

WannabeG
05-14-2011, 12:10 PM
He just tried to tell me that any old turtle wax off the shelf at walmart will achieve the same results as M105 hahahaha I have polished a fender and a door and he thinks i should be done with the whole car hahahaha

XB70
05-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I have a 2007 G35X in my garage right now that has 122k miles, and has never been detailed more than a 99cent car wash. Basically, it is quite bad.

You've got a G35 sitting in YOUR garage and your dad comes out to talk to you? Are you sure it isn't sitting in HIS garage?

If your dad is letting you use his garage for your detailing (for free, right?), just keep quiet. When you grow up, pay rent or buy your own garage, you can have an opinion.:buffing:

Mazda.Mark
05-14-2011, 12:22 PM
You've got a G35 sitting in YOUR garage and your dad comes out to talk to you? Are you sure it isn't sitting in HIS garage?

If your dad is letting you use his garage for your detailing (for free, right?), just keep quiet. When you grow up, pay rent or buy your own garage, you can have an opinion.:buffing:

Wow, so people like me who do not have a garage cannot have opinions on detailing? Interesting...

Don't sweat the old man. I got my car an oil change yesterday and the mechanic wanted to know who I have detail my truck, I said here's my card:) 03 S10 looks show room and all WITHOUT a garageIm the MAN

WannabeG
05-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Wow, so people like me who do not have a garage cannot have opinions on detailing? Interesting...

Don't sweat the old man. I got my car an oil change yesterday and the mechanic wanted to know who I have detail my truck, I said here's my card:) 03 S10 looks show room and all WITHOUT a garageIm the MAN
Agreed. If i listened to him because it isn't my garage, then the car would look like ####. :nomore: He doesn't know squat about detailing except from what he 'did back in the day'

Dr Oldz
05-14-2011, 12:41 PM
My father is kinda old school also. I just detailed his car and his idea was wash and wax. But a simple explanation and showing him each process hands on was very effect. He has changed his mind about detailing. He first claimed that claying was unnecessary. Until I showed him how dirty a piece of clay got and how smooth the paint became. So sometimes do not get frustrated. It is better to actually explain and show them hands on. I know it worked with him because he pointed out to me the other day that a local auto store had megs clay kit on sale. If he didn't believe in the process, he would have never mentioned it.

Setec Astronomy
05-14-2011, 12:46 PM
So you can clay a car under an hour? Any size car.... Bit truck, big SUV, or a small car that hasn't been clayed for several years or EVER. Or especially a light colored car that shows every single contaminant.

I call major major BS....

You put a lot of qualifiers in there that I didn't, but I just went back and reread the OP. I mistakenly thought that the OP was working on HIS OWN car (normally member's cars are well cared-for), not a client car. So yes, I can clay a G35 that has been reasonably maintained in under an hour. No, I can't guarantee I can clay any car in any condition in under an hour, and I never suggested that I could or that the OP should (he did state what kind of vehicle it was, so it was clear it was not a "big truck, big SUV").

To the OP: I'm sorry I misread the original post; please disregard any of my advice you deem necessary (which of course applies whether I misread the original post or not).

WannabeG
05-14-2011, 01:01 PM
My father is kinda old school also. I just detailed his car and his idea was wash and wax. But a simple explanation and showing him each process hands on was very effect. He has changed his mind about detailing. He first claimed that claying was unnecessary. Until I showed him how dirty a piece of clay got and how smooth the paint became. So sometimes do not get frustrated. It is better to actually explain and show them hands on. I know it worked with him because he pointed out to me the other day that a local auto store had megs clay kit on sale. If he didn't believe in the process, he would have never mentioned it.
My dad is a lost cause lol I have tried all of that before, but he doesn't really seem to care lol. He definitely has the old school mentality on everything and always has to be right about everything in our house (doesn't matter who it is) so you kinda just have to blow him away to put him in his place. What can ya do lol :buffing:

Ted S.
05-14-2011, 01:02 PM
My dad is a lost cause lol I have tried all of that before, but he doesn't really seem to care lol. He definitely has the old school mentality on everything and always has to be right about everything in our house (doesn't matter who it is) so you kinda just have to blow him away to put him in his place. What can ya do lol :buffing:
I know alot of people like that....

mark58
05-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Humor him and do it your own way. Someday you will be saying "When my dad was alive,,,,,"
Yes some of us old folks are set in our way, but that will change also.
You still have Your Dad!!!!