PDA

View Full Version : Finally put some new wheels on

Pages : [1] 2

JonMiles
05-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to show off my new wheels and get some recommendations on cleaning the wheels and tires. I was thinking about going with p21s gel and rolloff for the tires. Then using Ultima Tire and Trim for the tires and Ultima Paint Guard for the wheels to protect them from the elements.

About the wheels, they are 17x9 XD Hoss wheels, black clear coated with tons of detail to them.

The tires are Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 35x12.50 r17's. A lot of lugs to detail and a real pain to dress from previous experiences on some of my details.

Now for the pics.

First the set in front of my stock one

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0512111533.jpg

Next the side by side comparison.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0512111533a.jpg

And finally all of them mounted on the Jeep with no lift.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0513111912a_1_.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, any feedback is greatly appreciated. Especially regarding protection and tire dressing methods to save time. :dblthumb2:

James K
05-13-2011, 11:16 PM
They look great!!!!

For tires I have found that my favorite cleaner is Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Works better then anything I have tried.

I have not tried the Ultima products, but I doubt that you could go wrong with them.

kingofsorrow
05-14-2011, 12:57 AM
nice jeep. those rims look great.

C. Charles Hahn
05-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Looks great! That Jeep is just begging for at least a 3" lift now though....

As for dressing I would consider one of the Optimum OptiGun air sprayers coupled with OptiBond tire gel.

BobbyG
05-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Wooooo! Those are a nice combination and I'll bet they have just a bit more traction than the stock tires. :laughing:

I'll bet when you drove this after mounting them it was like night and day!!

Very nice Jon!! :props:

FUNX650
05-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Nice tire/wheel combo, a real head turner...Glad to see you moving up in the world. :D

-I like 3M's Tire & Wheel Cleaner and P21 TAW for cleaning-up.
-I like Lexol's VinylX and/or 303 Protectant for tire dressing.
-You can always go with your preferred non-abrasive sealant on the wheels, but, perhaps they deserve something special like American Racing's Wheel Wax.

Just curious...where are you Baja-ing? LOL :)

A.P.A.D.
05-14-2011, 09:07 AM
very nice rim and tire combo! the Jeep looks like a totally new vehicle now:dblthumb2:

JonMiles
05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Thank you everyone for the comliments and advice on products. I am thinking the optimum spray idea might be the best for dressing the tires. I feel like coverage is going to take way too long with a sponge or applicator and any of the gels.

Just curious...where are you Baja-ing? LOL :)

I mainly go to the mud hole (Redneck Yacht Club) in Punta Gorda, FL. Sometimes I will be on trails in the northern counties.

Last time I went out with stock tires, I got stuck in ruts made by some guy with 33 inchers. That is last time I will let that happen, now I'm on 35s so people can get stuck in my ruts for a change. They handle like a champ on the road, and I will need to add a lift before I see any offroad action. That project will be done on wednesday afternoon followed by another picture added to the thread.

ScottB
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I have always loved custom wheels and have placed them on every car since my first in High School. As you get older you realize the significant cost, but still want the unique personalized look. Unfortunately now for daily drivers it just not justified but man "if" I replace the Vette (with Iforged shoes) then I will certainly grab something custom.

Truck looks great !

Southern Stang
05-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Much better man! Glad to see another mud rat online at the geek! Now get that baby lifted a.s.a.p. :props:

jlb85
05-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I like it just as it sits! Lifted is cool and all, but if the tires clear and you don't really need the clearance...

For big tires I like to use a matte tire shine. Pepboys has the Black Magic brand "Matte" tire shine. Too much shine makes the un-shiny tread stick out too much IMO.

Really nice wheels!!

jjkacz
05-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Wow, that looks good! Call me crazy, but I like the look of it without a lift kit. Leave it alone - it looks great now!

kelley386
05-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Leave it like it is! Big tires with just enough clearance look soooo much better!

Look at my truck in this pic, there is about 3/4 of an inch between tire and fender in the rear, 2" drop shackles and factory blacks flipped. Fron end-Tortion bars cranked all the way up.

35" BFG mud terrains.

C. Charles Hahn
05-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Leave it like it is! Big tires with just enough clearance look soooo much better!

Look at my truck in this pic, there is about 3/4 of an inch between tire and fender in the rear, 2" drop shackles and factory blacks flipped. Fron end-Tortion bars cranked all the way up.

35" BFG mud terrains.

Actually all that's doing is making the truck look overloaded... but to each their own I suppose.

JonMiles
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Leveling the front and rear would look good but I still won't be able to articulate like a Jeep should on the trails. I know that the stock suspension will flex enough even with the swaybars connected to rub the 35s on my fenders, with 3.5 inches (as planned) the stance will remain pretty low and wide but I will be able to flex without rubbing everything.

I do like the stance now, but I am scared to hit even a bump in the road. The pinch weld on the rear end only clears by 1 inch and the front bumper is about 1.5 inches away from rubbing.