PDA

View Full Version : are buffing pads worth the money ?

Pages : [1] 2

lvmyavalon
05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Recently purchased the Griot 6" random orbital buffer. I would like to get some 61/2" buffer pads.Do they really improve the shine as opposed to lots of work with a micro towel? I put a micro towel over a pad & used it to buff out wax.It didn't seem to do much.Or are there other options ?Feed back please

Kaban
05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
You put what on it?

Alright I am confused.

maximus20895
05-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm confused what you did as well. You are suppose to use pads with a D.A. and not a towel..

jslym777
05-13-2011, 05:31 PM
yes purchase the smaller backing plate and use 5.5 inch pads. buy the 6 pad kit and make sure you select an assortment of pads. find a polish that works well for you and finish up with your favorite wax.

it doesnt really matter if you use a machine to apply wax or just use hand application. the orbital buffer is more intended for polishes

jslym777
05-13-2011, 05:32 PM
dont throw a microfiber over your backing plate and run it on your paint!!!

TornadoRed
05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I think (hope) OP is talking about bonnets.

Rei86
05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
You put what on it?

Alright I am confused.

I'm a bit confused in what he's asking but, I think he's saying he uses a MicroFiber bonnet to spread wax

Guy you should read these threads

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html

Should read them in that order and get back to us.

prisonerofcs
05-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I also think he is talking about using a bonnet. I recently saw a "set of pads" that was actually a single yellow pad, wool bonnet, a couple different terry cloth bonnets and a super thin microfiber bonnet. That was either at Northern Tools or Harbor Freight.

I was actually surprised how much useless low quality products are sold in auto parts stores. I went to look for a couple pads at Napa and Advance and all they had in stock was bonnets.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
05-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Just so we are clear are you looking to buff off product with the foam pads because that is not what they are used for.

Blackthorn One
05-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Recently purchased the Griot 6" random orbital buffer. I would like to get some 61/2" buffer pads.Do they really improve the shine as opposed to lots of work with a micro towel? I put a micro towel over a pad & used it to buff out wax.It didn't seem to do much.Or are there other options ?Feed back please
Foam buffing pads are used mainly for polishing, and also for applying wax. They can be used mainly on a buffer or can be used by hand with a velcro backed handle. The purpose of the buffer is to work faster and to polish more evenly for a more uniform shine, or to apply wax more thinly and evenly to go faster and to make excess wax easier to remove.
When you use a buffer, you must always use a pad, whether a foam pad or a wool pad, even when you want to use a microfiber towel type bonnet on it. When you polish, you apply the polish directly to the foam pad without a bonnet. Bonnets are only for removing products from the car's surface, namely wax.
I think what you are asking is whether a foam pad will do a better job at applying wax than using a microfiber towel. The answer is yes. The foam pad helps to apply the wax smoothly and evenly, while using the least amount of product. Microfiber towels tend to absorb quite a bit of wax that gets trapped in the towel, thus wasting it, while foam pads absorb a lot less. When it comes to hand polishing, using a microfiber towel or polishing pad tends to work very well, but is only one coarseness, whereas there are many coarseness-es of foam pads in order to give you just the amount of cut or polishing aggressiveness you need. You could use a microfiber bonnet over a foam pad on a buffer to polish with, but it will cut rather quickly, and you will definitely not get as fine a finish or as brilliant a shine as if you used an ultra fine foam pad to polish with instead.

Yes using a buffer will get you a better shine by polishing more uniformly than by hand.
Yes you need foam buffing pads in order to do this.

XB70
05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I also think he is talking about using a bonnet.

He wrote, "I put a micro towel over a pad & used it to buff out wax."

bmwgeek
05-14-2011, 12:06 AM
he wrapped a towel around a pad and hand buffed Im the MAN

BobbyG
05-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Foam buffing pads are manufactured in different densities, or strengths, that give the polishing compounds the ability to "cut" or fine sand the swirls and scratches thus mechanically removing them from the finish.

Take a look at the foam pads via the link below. Read what each pads designed to do then make your selection from there. Yes, I intentionally provided a link to 5 1/2" pads because the 6 1/2" size are to large for this style machine.

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

Removing waxes and sealants should be EASY. The only reasons they should be difficult is they've been applied too thick or weren't dry. Use a good quality microfiber towel to remove them.

lvmyavalon
05-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm almost sorry I started this ! Mostly because I did not make myself clear.First I would like to thank those involved for the info.Buffing pads it is.Actually what I tried was putting a red pad on the buffer,took a large micro fiber towel & folded it a few times and placed it on the car. I placed the buffer with red pad on top of the micro towel & ran at LOW speed.It worked fine,but I know this can be risky.I'm ordering the proper gear today.Sorry if this seemed like a stupid question guys:dunno:

Kaban
05-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm almost sorry I started this ! Mostly because I did not make myself clear.First I would like to thank those involved for the info.Buffing pads it is.Actually what I tried was putting a red pad on the buffer,took a large micro fiber towel & folded it a few times and placed it on the car. I placed the buffer with red pad on top of the micro towel & ran at LOW speed.It worked fine,but I know this can be risky.I'm ordering the proper gear today.Sorry if this seemed like a stupid question guys:dunno:

It was a good question. Now you know what you need to do to make that car shiny. Good luck.