PDA

View Full Version : Best products for frameless window trim?

jbgrant
05-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Those with cars with frameless doors: what are the best trim products for use on foam rubber seals? I always end up with SQUEAKY frameless windows a couple weeks after washing/detailing. I've tired everything in my arsenal but UTTG which I refuse to use on delicate rubber because it has a concentrated solvent base and my seals are 15 years old and the foam is getting dry. As a rule I'm scared of anything heavy in solvents on rubber foam, not sure if this is justified. I would love to replace the seals but I cannot find them for less than hundreds of dollars per pair (new) so that is not an option.

I'm looking for rubber products that are:
- Very slick, but NOT GREASY
- Actually help preserve the rubber, not dry it out
- Is long lasting
- Prevents ice from bonding between the window and trim

Thank you for the recommendations!

Joel

LegacyGT
05-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Tell you what, I have frameless windows, and I have UTTG. I'll give it a try and let you know. I'll run a ala Corey style test with 303, PBWTR, UTTG, and maybe DP GTG.

Previously I have just given them a wipe down with 303 areospace and buffed dry. It is going to be a few months before I can test out the icing though:laughing:

ferret1980
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I like 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick. Some thing new I starting using is Shin-Etsu silicone Grease.

rockford33
05-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I like 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick. Some thing new I starting using is Shin-Etsu silicone Grease.

I second the 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick. I have frameless windows and bought this last year and love it. Leave the foam/rubber looking a nice satin black, dries quick, doesn't rub off, and last for a decent amount of time (it does wear quicker for the part that is outside the window and exposed to the elements though).

-Neil