PDA

View Full Version : Claying when it's hot and humid outside?

Kaban
05-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Hey fellas,

I have a question. I noticed everytime I clay any car when it's hot here in IL (hot is anything 75 degrees F or higher), the clay becomes sticky, too soft, and sometimes sticks to the paint leaving clay residue behind.

Today I was claying my friend's black Chevy and initially I though we can do it outside on the driveway since it was only about 70 degrees. But the hot weather and hot car surface basically wanted to melt the clay in my hand. So I had to pull it in the garage and after letting it cool down, finish the job. But even in the garage the clay was too soft and very sticky.

I got a jar of cold water and placed the clay bar into the jar for roughly 20 seconds every few minutes or so to stiffen it up which worked okay, but after a few minutes you had the same problem of the clay becoming too soft and sticky.

How do you guys address this issue? By the way this happens to all my clays (Mothers, Meguiars, Sonus, Bilt Hamber, Blackfire, Detailed Image).

Kaban
05-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I was thinking maybe put ice in the water next time so that the water stays really cool. I think that will definitely help out.

Kristopher1129
05-12-2011, 11:55 PM
The hotter it gets, the softer your clay will be. When it's soft, it's more likely to stick. I usually just use more lube to prevent any sticking. Sometimes I'll just use my foam gun and soap a panel up real good, and clay it while it's still soapy. The clay bar rarely sticks when I do it that way.

Kaban
05-13-2011, 12:10 AM
The hotter it gets, the softer your clay will be. When it's soft, it's more likely to stick. I usually just use more lube to prevent any sticking. Sometimes I'll just use my foam gun and soap a panel up real good, and clay it while it's still soapy. The clay bar rarely sticks when I do it that way.

Weird.... because I think I spray more lube than anyone I know who details cars. I honestly will use up at least 2 32oz. bottles on a average sedan. 3+ bottles on a large vehicle. But even wit hthe lube it sticks like a son of a guna.

StoneRaizer
05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
To save money on lube, use ONR. Add one ounce ONR to a 32 oz spray bottle. Fill the rest with water. When you run out, mix another batch.

Flash Gordon
05-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Alot has to do with the clay your using

SeaJay's
05-13-2011, 09:01 AM
I have run into this issue before, but typically I just ensure I'm working in the shade. If your working in direct sun the panels get really hot and the lube you spray on them tends to evaporate quickly.

I've clayed a car in the sun and it's a pain. Kris' idea of soaping up the panel first works well when working in the hot sun. I always try to work in the shade though, but sometimes you just can't!

HeavyMetal
05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
I have a question. I noticed everytime I clay any car when it's hot here in IL (hot is anything 75 degrees F or higher), the clay becomes sticky, too soft, and sometimes sticks to the paint leaving clay residue behind....

I live in PA and our weather is essentially the same as yours. I've clayed in 70 and 80 degrees. If you do it outside, the car panels get very hot very quick and the clay tends to stick if not lube'd really well. I prefer to do it in the garage. If the clay is still sticking, you're not using enuf lube. Leave the car wet from washing, pull it in the garage, mist with lube and then mist each panel while you clay. I have no probs doing that.