PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a porsche convertible top

tianh
05-12-2011, 11:28 PM
My uncle is going to be going to my place to wash his 2004 Boxster instead of the gas station, sweet!

Anyways, how would I go about cleaning the convertible top? I DO NOT have convertible top cleaner nor do I plan to get any, just regular car wash supplies. How would you guys go about doing it?

James K
05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Whenever I clean a vert top, 95% of the time I use either a vert top cleaner, or Amazing Roll Off. However, you seem very against a dedicated cleaner for some reason. Shame IMO. When I do not have a vert top cleaner I will use Woolite (for dark colors if the top is black). Mix that in a bucket and wash with a horse hair, or other soft bristle brush.

Are you planning on putting any type of protectant on it? They really need a proper protectant IMO. Vinyl tops take serious abuse from the sun and UV rays, and fabric tops really need a waterproofing protectant like Raggtopp.

tianh
05-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Whenever I clean a vert top, 95% of the time I use either a vert top cleaner, or Amazing Roll Off. However, you seem very against a dedicated cleaner for some reason. Shame IMO. When I do not have a vert top cleaner I will use Woolite (for dark colors if the top is black). Mix that in a bucket and wash with a horse hair, or other soft bristle brush.

Are you planning on putting any type of protectant on it? They really need a proper protectant IMO. Vinyl tops take serious abuse from the sun and UV rays, and fabric tops really need a waterproofing protectant like Raggtopp.

Hey!

Sorry for coming off the wrong way, but the reason I opted not to purchase convertible top cleaner is simply do to the fact that my uncle is my only "customer" with a rag top so I didn't feel the need to purchase a bottle just to clean his vehicle every month or so when it comes.

I don't imagine the gas station uses any protection on it either, yet he tells me his car looks really clean every time he gets done at them which is why I am asking the question above. I do appreciate your comment about the woolite though! Would just soap and water look fine for cleaning it? When he pays me a little extra maybe I'll go out and buy some protection for him :P

James K
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Soap and water will work fine as well. I would use a different mitt, sponge etc on the top then I used on the body. If you have a soft bristle brush I would use that. With the texture of a top, lots of nasty crap can get stuck on it. You don't want to transfer that to your wash mitt, and without some mild gentle scrubbing, it will not come fully clean.

You need to explain to him that convertible tops are not as durable as paint. They need to be protected.

I can't imagine a Porsche top would be cheap to replace down the road. I know the top on my Cobra cost over $1000 to have replaced, because it was not protected properly when I was overseas. Thanks roommates. LOL. Anyway, as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

tianh
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM

You know what, I will take your advice and buy some amazing roll off just for my uncle, its multipurpose so I can swallow down the cost. For future reference though, a simple rinsing off and drying of the convertible should suffice for a simple car wash correct?

Thanks!

James K
05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Good call. Amazing Roll Off is good stuff. I recommend diluting it 1:1 with water, and you will double your product. Not only that, it is a very good tire cleaner, even diluted.

tianh
05-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Good call. Amazing Roll Off is good stuff. I recommend diluting it 1:1 with water, and you will double your product. Not only that, it is a very good tire cleaner, even diluted.

Yep, greatly appreciate the help you've given me :)

tianh
05-12-2011, 11:50 PM

So for the amazing roll off, apply it on the top, agitate with a stiff nylon brush and rinse off?

James K
05-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't like using stiff nylon brushes on tops. The stiff bristles can grab the fabric of the top, assuming it's fabric, or grab the stitching. I use a horse hair brush from RaggTopp for cleaning all convertible tops. However a SOFT nylon bristle brush, like a wheel well brush, will work just fine.

Porsche Pilot
05-13-2011, 06:56 AM
I detail a lot of Porsche's. I have a Boxster that I care for monthly. Roll off is great stuff. Usually I just use my shampoo and water. It really depends on how dirty the top is. Ragg Top is a great line as well. One caution note: That plastic back "window" is a piece of junk on the 986. I would just use a damp micro fiber towel on it with no chemical cleaners. Dont let a brush anywhere near that window. A clothes lint roller is also a necessity for a cabrio to get all the lint off. They are cheap and it beats masking tape rolled up backwards.