PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Under the Hood Question

pebelanger
05-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Simple question. Right now I work at a detailing shop that literally pops the hood, sprays it down with an APC and hits basically everything with a power washer relatively quickly. Nothing gets covered, which to my understanding is not good practice. So again, new to the world of detailing, and to ensure I develop skills that are respectable, contrary to what may be going on where I make money, I was hoping someone could shed some light on what a pretty standard practice for making the engine bay/under the hood look new again. Any input would be great, thanks.

Kristopher1129
05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I usually do the same thing. Except I only pressure wash around the engine. Then I steam clean the engine parts.

Dr Oldz
05-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I always cover alts, computer and exposed fuse boxes. Then spray with APC and scrub. Rinse with low pressure water. Under hoods are actually made to withstand some water but not the amount and areas a pressure washer will reach.

BillE
05-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I always cover alts, computer and exposed fuse boxes. Then spray with APC and scrub. Rinse with low pressure water. Under hoods are actually made to withstand some water but not the amount and areas a pressure washer will reach.

+1

I found using one of those super thin (and cheap) painter plastic drop cloths is a benefit also. Just drape it over the whole engine bay and fenders.

Bill