PDA

View Full Version : Is a dedicated carpet cleaner necessary?

AlexC
05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I want to give my carpet a good cleaning, not just to improve the look, but the smell in the cabin as well. (It isn't bad right now, but hey there's always room for improvement.) Extractors are way too expensive for me, so the next best thing is a cleaner and a brush right? I was thinking WG Carpet Restorer, but then I remembered that I had Meg's APC+ haha. So would the WG be beneficial or should I just stick with my APC?

Also, if I do stick with the APC, what dilution do I use it at?

What I was thinking of getting:
Wolfgang Carpet & Upholstery Restorer attack stains and dirt that will taint your car’s interior! (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5200.html)

VIP Reflections
05-12-2011, 12:24 PM
i say stick with APC+, its all you really need for all interior surfaces. I use it exclusively on every job i do. here is how i dilute the product.

dilution for cleaning carpet:
4-1(heavy duty cleaning for soiled carpet)
6-1 (medium duty cleaning)
10-1 (light cleaning duty) -also good for Vinyl & Upholstery & Jambs

keep in mind APC has something in it to deodorize the carpet too. Great product

SeaJay's
05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I have used both a dedicated carpet cleaners and APC on carpets. Both work very well.

I dilute my APC the same as VIP except for medium cleaning I'm normally at 5:1.

BobbyG
05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
:iagree: Stick with Jason's formula's and you'll be good to go! :props:

mpm
05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
If you have a strong wet/dry vac use it after you scrub. You'll be able to use more water on it if you can get it out.

Might consider renting a rugdoctor unit with the hose wand attachment. Works pretty well. I rented one last year, did both vehicles and some inside carpet. Took all day but cost lest than $40 to rent.

StephenK
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
just curious which APC are you guys using? not all APC's will work at these same dilutions ratio's

VIP Reflections
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
just curious which APC are you guys using? not all APC's will work at these same dilutions ratio's

the OP said he has Megs+ APC.

StephenK
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
the OP said he has Megs+ APC.

that is what the OP has i know that but is that what all the people replying are using too? just want to be clear so know one is confused and use another product and these ratio's and not get results they expected

AeroCleanse
05-13-2011, 10:13 AM
APC+ works ok. I found personally that GTechniq W2 works better.

AlexC
05-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I hear a lot about that GTechniq so I think I might include that on my next order here since the APC+ didnt do the trick, even at 4:1. While they did regain their original color, they are still pretty matted.

Looking a little more into it, I've been intrigued by the Tornador and maybe picking up a brush attachment for my polisher. Can anyone give some insight on either of these approaches?

AeroCleanse
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
If they are matted, it could be too late. I have a Tornador, haven't used it much on carpets.

V3AutoDetailing
05-15-2011, 10:52 PM
For my carpets i reach for Folex, and krudd kutter. Both of these cane be bought locally over the counter.

Apc gets used to mist all vynol before, and door jambs before i hit it with the steamer.