PDA

View Full Version : Tips for silver

Nuke33
01-08-2007, 12:15 AM
If any of you have any suggestions to help out a newbie with working on silver ie lighting technique......swirl removal anything and everything.

Thanks guys and gals :)

Ryan:awesome:

ScottB
01-08-2007, 07:49 AM
silver naturally seems to hide some swirls and makes less noticable. Use good lighting and polish as normal. Look to a sealant as possible to brighten the metallic flake and it should glow. Its a great color as it truly hides small flaws and dirt. Remember to post pics when done !!

TOGWT
01-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Light coloured paint:
Lighter colour paints (i.e. Silver, White, etc (the exception is speed yellow) will never obtain jetting (the so called ‘wet-look’) of black or dark colours as they do not exhibit visible depth, light colours tends to refract (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Refraction) light instead of reflecting it. You can obtain a good gloss provided the paint is good quality and if it’s prepared and detailed correctly; washed, cleaned, polished and a polymer sealant added (Zaino, Klasse AIO and SG, Jeffswerkstatt - Acrylic Jett ) these sealants will provide a flat silvery-white shine, but without ‘depth’. By adding a Carnauba wax as an LSP (Pinnacle Souverän Paste Carnauba or Autoglym Super Resin Polish) the oils that are formulated in the Carnauba waxes provide a reflective gloss, which causes jetting (a ‘wetting’ of the surface)

For optimal results the surface of a light coloured paint to show gloss is very much dependant upon good / excellent paint condition, adequately prepped to remove contaminants and minor imperfections. Detailer’s clay (Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay Bar) and / or Paint cleaner (Zaino PC or Klasse AIO) should be a regular part of the preparation process.

justin_murphy
01-08-2007, 09:02 AM
The XMT line along with Max Wax has been good for me on silver. NXT Liquid Tech Wax has been a proven winner also.

BILL
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
The XMT line along with Max Wax has been good for me on silver. NXT Liquid Tech Wax has been a proven winner also.

MEGS NXT? interesting.........thanks justin....:)

Surfer
01-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Agree with Killer, even with good lighting, I still had a hard time getting the swirls out (mostly b/c our Lincoln has a rock hard clearcoat). I had to keep stopping and looking at certain angles to see where they were. You can still obtain a good look with silver, but I guess it depends on the silver, some seem to be very flakey and some seem to be just a plain silver that doesn't show much. Our Lincoln's silver happens to have a very reflective and wet look after using EX-P and Collinite 915, and nice flake pop though not as much as others (Lincoln silver has "subtle" flaking I guess you could say). I'll try to get some pics when I get a chance.