PDA

View Full Version : Tar!!!!

coreymg51
05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Just got a car from an regular client that i havent done in over a month and was wondering what happen to her. Well she called today and told me that she had some tar on her suv and needed me to get it cleaned up for her.So my first ? was how much tar? Well to make a long story short she turned down a road and got behind the truck that was putting fresh tar down and couldnt turn around and once she got home both sides of her car were full of tar along with the wheel wells being caked with it (so much it was dripping off her car) havent seen the car yet but will be doing it tomorrow and will def take some pics. not looking forward to it expecally after 3 weeks of it baking in the sun.( why do ppl wait so long) i dont like tar but have never really had a problem with removing it but never heard or done a car with this much tar. what would you guys suggest to get the tar out of the wheel wells besides spraying produce and taking off a lil layer and repeating and repeating and repeating

coreymg51
05-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Anyone
Feed back please

Lasthope05
05-12-2011, 02:27 AM
I use xylene and toluene 1:1 mix for tar. Mix it in a spray bottle and spray it on to the affected area. Give it some time to work and you will see the tar melt right in front of your face. This mix is basically Autosmart Tardis, a very popular and extremely effective tar remover in the UK.

...or if you just want a simple solution, diesel fuel, kerosene or any type of petroleum distillate product will work. Remember, like dissolves like.

BillE
05-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Kerosene for me.

Cheap (well, maybe inexpensive is a better word), not real bad for the human body.

Living in an area of LOTSA gravel roads, tar and oil are a fact of life during the spring/summer months.

Gonna have to rewax (etc) afterwards.

Bill

embolism
05-12-2011, 09:11 AM
make sure to charge her such that she'll never do it again

FUNX650
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
With so many dedicated/specific tar remover products available on the market today, I personally stay away from xylene and toluene---both are highly flammable. Their fumes are poisonous, toxic, and can cause death. Toluene when heated is explosive (TNT). I will also not use paint thinner---it will soften paint, plastics, and rubber. The same goes for kerosene, diesel fuel and gasoline---no need to take unnecessary risks. (The lesser evil of petroleum distrillates would be: mineral spirits---used sparingly and washed off treated surfaces immediately).

Stoner's Tarminator (for example), a few good plastic scrapers, time and patience should avail you of this sticky situation. :)

But, to each their own methods. Just a few of my thoughts.

Lasthope05
05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
With so many dedicated/specific tar remover products available on the market today, I personally stay away from xylene and toluene---both are highly flammable. Their fumes are poisonous, toxic, and can cause death. Toluene when heated is explosive (TNT). I will also not use paint thinner---it will soften paint, plastics, and rubber. The same goes for kerosene, diesel fuel and gasoline---no need to take unnecessary risks. (The lesser evil of petroleum distrillates would be: mineral spirits---used sparingly and washed off treated surfaces immediately).

Stoner's Tarminator (for example), a few good plastic scrapers, time and patience should avail you of this sticky situation. :)

Umm...Tarminator contains xylene.

Rsurfer
05-12-2011, 04:49 PM

I've owed a roofing company for over 20 years and used kerosene to clean tools and remove tar from trucks for years with no problems to my men or equipment.

FUNX650
05-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Umm...Tarminator contains xylene.

Thank you, Lasthope05, for pointing out this out to me! {Negligence on my part...I do have the MSDS}

Even if Stoner claims the percentage of xylene is 10% or less and this product is chemically stable; and, although I have used Tarminator in the past, this becomes yet another product to add to my "DO Not Use List"!!!

Thanks again.

Superdutytd
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Just got a car from an regular client that i havent done in over a month and was wondering what happen to her. Well she called today and told me that she had some tar on her suv and needed me to get it cleaned up for her.So my first ? was how much tar? Well to make a long story short she turned down a road and got behind the truck that was putting fresh tar down and couldnt turn around and once she got home both sides of her car were full of tar along with the wheel wells being caked with it (so much it was dripping off her car) havent seen the car yet but will be doing it tomorrow and will def take some pics. not looking forward to it expecally after 3 weeks of it baking in the sun.( why do ppl wait so long) i dont like tar but have never really had a problem with removing it but never heard or done a car with this much tar. what would you guys suggest to get the tar out of the wheel wells besides spraying produce and taking off a lil layer and repeating and repeating and repeating

What did you ever use?

coreymg51
06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
i ended up useing some stuff from automagic from when i bought my business and worked very well. dont know the name of it all the bottle said was gum remover from what the previous owner wrote on the bottle.(only thing ive used from the chemicals that he had) bc i have no idea whats in the containers

waxman1
06-12-2011, 03:50 PM
well i have ditzler dx330,napa fin l wash,carbrite alsol,and presently use gon. get it from a paint supply store. the founder of house of color paint,recently said this is his preferance.

pfix
06-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I had a chance to try my jar of DoDo Juice Tarmalade today and I was disappointed. I had a nice glob of tar on my wheel barrel about the size of a dime. I applied a generous dab of DDJT and let it dwell per the instructions for several minutes. It removed very little of the tar.

It might be fine on small dots of fresh tar but this stuff really does not get after the tar like I had hoped.

My cancer causing, third eye growing Acry-Solve body shop solvent made short work of it.