PDA

View Full Version : Calling all UTTG users...

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
So I have spent countless $$ on products to apply to the rubber window belts on my vehicles that will last more than ONE rain or wash. Everything I have tried winds up looking spotted or runny after just ONE rain or wash. These are the smooth rubber trim pieces. I have been told that other products run or spot because of their inability to bond with smooth surfaces.

My question is... will UTTG hold up on SMOOTH plastics and rubber? More than just ONE rain or wash...?

I wanna bite the bullet, but with the price of this stuff...

Garry Dean
05-11-2011, 06:00 PM
So I have spent countless $$ on products to apply to the rubber window belts on my vehicles that will last more than ONE rain or wash. Everything I have tried winds up looking spotted or runny after just ONE rain or wash. These are the smooth rubber trim pieces. I have been told that other products run or spot because of their inability to bond with smooth surfaces.

My question is... will UTTG hold up on SMOOTH plastics and rubber? More than just ONE rain or wash...?

I wanna bite the bullet, but with the price of this stuff...

I can send you a sample if you like and you can make your own decision. PM me.

dad07
05-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes it will! Make sure its clean, on smooth surface apply let sit a little bit then lighty buff with Mf and your done.....FWIW I have applied this to my daily driver on rough and smooth sufaces back in Feburary and its still going strong!

Garry Dean
05-11-2011, 06:08 PM
It has a learning curve like everything else, but it is the only trim product on the market that can actually be "layered" between cured applications.

The secret with UTTG is to use a mf towel to smooth it out after a thick coat.

Garry Dean
05-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes it will! Make sure its clean, on smooth surface apply let sit a little bit then lighty buff with Mf and your done.....FWIW I have applied this to my daily driver on rough and smooth sufaces back in Feburary and its still going strong!

Come on, lets make your 1000th post on this thread!

SeaJay's
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I can send you a sample if you like and you can make your own decision. PM me.

That will answer your question for sure!

I've used it on smooth plastics (side mirrors on my HHR), and I had it on part of my Avalanche as a test and it held up great. Didn't run, didn't streak. On smooth surfaces you usually have to ensure you buff it a little bit or else you may end up with some streaking (see LegacyGT's recent post). It also doesn't run when it rains. It actually will bead the water right off. It's been raining here off and on for a week now and my plastics are still looking great. On my Avalanche after 3 weeks it was still holding strong, hadn't faded, and did run at all. Was by far superior to the products I tested it against (RaggTopp, Poorboy's Trim Restorer, & Black WOW).

I've also used it on chrome, rims, but have yet to try it out on tires. It's well worth the money in my opinion. Also a little goes a long way! I've applied it on several cars and a motorcycle and I haven't even uses a 1/4 of the bottle.

LegacyGT
05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
This is my first time using it, and it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I'll let you know.

My experience as eluded to by Jason, was that it was very streaky to apply, but buffs to a very nice finish.

Here is the streaky application, which Corey suggested may have been too thick:
http://www.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Full-Detail-2011/i-mHshbgp/1/L/IMG6400-L.jpg

Here it is buffed in (except for a small spot I left to test).
http://www.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Full-Detail-2011/i-KxWPZ5q/0/L/IMG6477-L.jpg

I found that if you don't buff it in realatively quickly, it stays streaky. That patch I left to dry will not buff out now, and will probably stay that way until I reapply UTTG.

Here it is looking beautiful on my wiper park:
http://www.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Full-Detail-2011/i-HLqKzXB/0/L/IMG6460-L.jpg

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Looks good... I can't wait to get my sample....!

dad07
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Come on, lets make your 1000th post on this thread!

LOL Garry I didn't notice till you brought it up! I think Jason got the honor of my 1000th post on his bike thread. Anyhoo to the op you will really like UTTG for ist looks and its longevity. Just remember A Little goes a looooooooong way!

pfix
05-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Mine has lasted a long time 2-3 months on trim. I do not use it on tires, I like Opti-bond 1:1 applied with their spray gun.

I use it on my truck which is outside 24/7, driven on gravel and muddy roads frequently and washed at least 1x per week. I have been more than happy with it on my faded trim parts.

I prefer it over PBTR without question.

Garry Dean
05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE
I prefer it over PBTR without question.[/QUOTE]

I agree 1000% without question.

WEST SIDE
05-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Have to agree with all of the above.My F-150 has plenty of black textured trim and I too have used alot of other products and by far UTTG rules.The only other product that got my attention for trim is the C4 which I have ordered but not yet used.