PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding question

Mongoose
05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Is it possible to polish out the surface after wetsanding with a d/a instead of a rotary?

BobbyG
05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Is it possible to polish out the surface after wetsanding with a d/a instead of a rotary?

Sure, it'll take longer with more effort but it can be done....

SeaJay's
05-11-2011, 08:03 AM

It can be done. I'd suggest picking up some Surbuff pads. I haven't personally used them but a lot of the detailers here say they are great for heavy correction on the DA.

Tom Weed
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I've done some hand sanding and corrected the sanding marks very nicely with the Meguiars DA MF system.

James K
05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I've done some hand sanding and corrected the sanding marks very nicely with the Meguiars DA MF system.

This. I had to wetland a run out of some clear on a vehicle. I did not have my rotary with me, but had my PC and Megs DA MF pads and D300. It worked quite well. Not as quick as my rotary, but still worked.

Mike Phillips
05-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't try to sand down an entire car and then try to remove 100% of all the sanding marks using a DA but "yes" it can be done.

Try to finish out with at least #3000 grit finishing papers or even #4000 grit Abralon sanding discs, this will make removing your sanding marks faster and easier.

I helped a guy on MOL sand down and then completely buff out an entire classic Mustang for his son returning home from Iraq and he used a DA Polisher for the entire buff-out.

It can be done, it's just more time consuming as compared to a rotary with a wool pad and a compound.

:xyxthumbs:

Tom Weed
05-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't try to sand down an entire car and then try to remove 100% of all the sanding marks using a DA but "yes" it can be done.

Try to finish out with at least #3000 grit finishing papers or even #4000 grit Abralon sanding discs, this will make removing your sanding marks faster and easier.

I helped a guy on MOL sand down and then completely buff out an entire classic Mustang for his son returning home from Iraq and he used a DA Polisher for the entire buff-out.

It can be done, it's just more time consuming as compared to a rotary with a wool pad and a compound.

:xyxthumbs:

I should add, this was a 1997 maroon ford pickup that a buddy pulls his mowers around with, hadn't been waxed or taken care of in years! The sanding was just the passenger side door and the pasenger side rear quater panel that was scratched up pretty good and I was using the Meguiars papers 2000, 2500, 3000. The truck turned out awesome just using the Meguiars DA MF system!

Mongoose
05-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks folks, I just had the spoiler on my car repainted and there's a small spot of orange peel they missed and I'd rather not have to take the car back in. Plus I don't own a rotary.

Tom Weed
05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks folks, I just had the spoiler on my car repainted and there's a small spot of orange peel they missed and I'd rather not have to take the car back in. Plus I don't own a rotary.

Just to note, the DA-MF is only recommended for OEM paints, you may have to play around with some different products.

James K
05-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Just to note, the DA-MF is only recommended for OEM paints, you may have to play around with some different products.

I have used it on repaints without issue. I think that is just more of a "lawyer clause".

C. Charles Hahn
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I have used it on repaints without issue. I think that is just more of a "lawyer clause".

Same here, but I would also note that the MF DA system is NOT to be used on FRESH repaints. Cured finishes only.