PDA

View Full Version : First time polishing, something isn't right!

Pages : [1] 2

XLNTShine
05-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Well I will assume that I am the part of the process that is not working correctly. I am working on my first paint correction, my DD '04 Cavailer. Last night I tried out the Megs DA MF pads using Wolfgang TSR 3.0 and I was not pleased with the results. On the suggestion of another board member I switched to the Hydro Tech Cyan pad and the TSR this afternoon.

I understand that anything deep enough in the clear coat to feel with my finger nail is most likley something I will have to live with for now. The thing is the TSR and the cyan pad did not do any more then the MF pads did. I know that the pad is turning, and I have the GG DA set to speed 5.

I worked the polish until I started to notice the polish drying and stoped the machine and wiped the area off. It may have made a small diffrence in the swirels but they are still visible. I know that the paint does feel smoother then before the polishing.

I did wash the car with DP soap, rinsed, sprayed the car with Iron X, rinsed, clayed the car for the second time in two weeks just to make sure any sap was off the paint. Rinsed again and dryed with MF towel.

What am I doing wrong?? I am going to go watch some of Mikes videos again to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Some pictures may help. That GM clear is very hard, and it's possible the swirls will take some work to get out. The amount of time required to actually do correction is something that is frequently misunderstood from watching videos online and reading posts. It really can take a long time, a lot of slow passes, pressure, etc. If you watched the Optimum portion of the Detail Fest videos, you saw Jose Fernandez saying that he might spend 40-50 hours on a correction (not a daily driver correction), and he's a pro. If you've got learning curve, etc., it might take you 16 or 20 hours of polishing the first time.

It may also be that you are trying to remove "RIDS" (random isolated deep scratches) that are not going to be removeable without compromising the paint.

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Could it be that you're using Meguiar's DA Microfiber Pads with Wolfgang TSR 3.0 instead of the products designed for this system? I'm not criticizing you I'm merely asking the question because I don't know if what you're using will work the way yo think it will...

XLNTShine
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Setec.....

I guess I was looking for results like I saw in the videos. If in fact I am going to be spending 10+ hours on this job I think I am going to have to get more polish. 8oz isnt going to do the job. I will have to try to take a few pictures with good light tomorrow.

Bobby....

I did take the advise from my other post about using the MF pads with the TSR and ditched that combo for a Hydro Tech Cyan pad and the TSR. I was looking to see if in fact that made for a better combo.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
8 oz will do the job...you want to be in the garage or shade, ideally...it's just that you really have to work the polish in, break it down...it's a slow process. Pressure, slow arm speed, small sections.

XLNTShine
05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I am working in the shade but its late in the evening when I get a chance to work on the car. Sucks having to rinse the car down every day when I get home so I can start working on it. I may try to bring it to work on the weekend and utilize the shop.

I do question how the polish brakes down. It seems like the product begins to produce a fair amount of dust when I get to the 4-5 section pass. Is this normal? I guess I need to clean the pad after every pass apply more product and repeat until I see the majority of the swirels gone.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Did you get the Meg's DA MF compound? What is it, D300? It was cheap for the little bottle, that's probably your best bet with that MF pad and hard factory paint. Although I love the Hydro-Tech pads, I've never had to use my cyan yet, but I'd think you'd be able to get some results with that and the WG TSR...how much pressure are you using?

XLNTShine
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I am pressing down pretty good. The pad is compressing quite a bit, but I do see the pad still rotating. Here are a few pics of what I am trying to remove. Not the best pictures, I will try to take some of the results tomorrow.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0101.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0100.jpg

XLNTShine
05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Did you get the Meg's DA MF compound? What is it, D300? It was cheap for the little bottle, that's probably your best bet with that MF pad and hard factory paint. Although I love the Hydro-Tech pads, I've never had to use my cyan yet, but I'd think you'd be able to get some results with that and the WG TSR...how much pressure are you using?

I did not buy the D300 product. Looks like I might have to give that a shot if I can not remove these with the cyan pad and the TSR.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Well, it looks like you're doing pretty well. Even if you could get it perfect on a DD, it won't stay that way. Another pass or two and maybe you'll be happy with it.

LegacyGT
05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Are you applying pressure to the polisher. I have found 10-15lbs of pressure makes a huge difference.

Also, prime the pad and make sure the entire surface has product applied to it. Then use 3 pea sized drops per 2'' square area.

Very important - make sure you are cleaning your pads after each section.

Lastly - go slow. a 2x2' area should take about 4-6 slow passes, about 5 minutes per section.

edit: priming instructions for MF system:

- Meguiars Micro Fiber System

Rayaz
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
It may be just me, but if I got all the correction with the first few passes, I would tend to think I was using too aggressive of a polish. I would rather take a little longer and save the clear.

Old Tiger
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Could it be that you're using Meguiar's DA Microfiber Pads with Wolfgang TSR 3.0 instead of the products designed for this system? I'm not criticizing you I'm merely asking the question because I don't know if what you're using will work the way yo think it will...
My first thought too Bobby!

Old Tiger
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Setec.....

I guess I was looking for results like I saw in the videos. If in fact I am going to be spending 10+ hours on this job I think I am going to have to get more polish. 8oz isnt going to do the job. I will have to try to take a few pictures with good light tomorrow.

Bobby....

I did take the advise from my other post about using the MF pads with the TSR and ditched that combo for a Hydro Tech Cyan pad and the TSR. I was looking to see if in fact that made for a better combo.
The MF pads and a Megs Compound would be much more efficient IMO. Ultimate Compound can be purchased OTC.

XLNTShine
05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Looks like some #105 will be tested tonight!