PDA

View Full Version : Is Ironx a essential step nowdays?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DjbuddyPL
05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Ive seen alot of ppl using irox nowdays here on the forums, what is it exactly, how do i use it and how much of it do i need it? are there any alternatives to ironx?

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2011, 05:37 PM
A lot of people will tell you that the decon systems have been an essential step for a long time. I think it depends on what kind of contamination you're trying to remove, etc. The alternates are the Finish Kare decon system sold here at Autogeek and the Valugard ABC system sold...I dunno where it's sold now, it's mostly used at car dealers.

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Does it work? I don't know, maybe, but the real question is; do you really need to use it?

I've never used anything like it and probably won't unless someone gives me some..:dunno:

oldmodman
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I sure wish that it had been available when I got my Yellow Mustang in 2003.
It was covered with little red rust specks and it took hours and hours of work with clay and quick detailer to get rid of them. And some wouldn't come completely off. I just ordered Iron X and will be using it on all my cars before I do another thing to them.

richy
05-10-2011, 06:00 PM
If you have a white or yellow vehicle, it is going to be much more obvious than if you have a black car. The ironx turns purple when it effects its chemical reaction. It's hard to see purple on a black car. When I got my Lincoln, I did the ironx soap wash on it. I saw no evidence of fallout, but I'm sure there was as my vehicle sat for a month in the storage yard at the factory waiting for a Sync update. If you live in an industrialized area, the need will be strong. I suggest the soap for regular maintenance. If you live on a farm, maybe not. I am not going to do it for customers' cars unless I see a need like in the IS250 I just did or a yellow F250 I did last summer. I sure wished I had the product back then! It will be a case of when you need it, you really need it.

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 06:08 PM
If you live in an industrialized area, the need will be strong. I suggest the soap for regular maintenance. If you live on a farm, maybe not.

Richy,

Excellent point!! :props:

Living or working in areas where this type of pollution is common it's nearly imperative that something like this is used on a regular basis.

I live out in the country and rarely frequent areas where airborne pollution is an issue.

S2K
05-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I did a wash/clay/wax on a friends white Honda last Oct. She lives in the Detroit area and there were lots of tiny rust color spots all over it. I got most out with the clay but some I just couldn't budge. I came to the conclusion it was from all the stamping plants in the area. I wish I had known about Ironx then, would have really liked to see the results.

embolism
05-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I did my buddy's silver carrera this past weekend and it was a purple mess, especially around the handles and the back spoiler. Still needed seriously claying afterwards and my white pad was black after the paint cleaner (KAIO)

I think Iron X is useful for neglected cars (his was stored over winter in an underground garage with no cover) and for hard to clay areas like badging. I'll use it sparingly on my car (which is not neglected) and probably test it by blotting treated areas with some white paper to see if I can catch any purple.

Rei86
05-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Bought a bottle with a 15% off discount, only got it for the hell of it since it seems like a good precautionary step.

So IMO its only worth it if you feel it is.

dougaross
05-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Bought a bottle with a 15% off discount, only got it for the hell of it since it seems like a good precautionary step.

So IMO its only worth it if you feel it is.

I agree. Although there was iron showing on the wheels and around trim there was almost none showing in the middle of panels. I think the fact that the car had already been clayed had something to do with my observation.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I live in suburban Detroit AND directly behind a train yard. Talk about fallout...! Anyways, keep in mind that claying only shears off iron particles, IronX opens the pores of the paint and completely removes the particles.

Rei86
05-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I agree. Although there was iron showing on the wheels and around trim there was almost none showing in the middle of panels. I think the fact that the car had already been clayed had something to do with my observation.

I was thinking about washing the car, rinsing it, ironX, re-rinse then clay it. Only putting it that way since it would probably be the most effective way of seeing everything. Besides no one is saying you shouldn't Iron X before claying.

dougaross
05-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I was thinking about washing the car, rinsing it, ironX, re-rinse then clay it. Only putting it that way since it would probably be the most effective way of seeing everything. Besides no one is saying you shouldn't Iron X before claying.
Yours is the recommended order. I clayed first because my IronX hadn't arrived yet.

Rei86
05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
well...I guess I'm not paying that much attention then...:)

jims_auto
05-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I had a chance to try this product out on some wheel wells on a white gmc p/u

I applied the product to a dry surface let sit 5 min and raise never applying a brush.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/jims_auto/1JPG.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/jims_auto/CIMG70821.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/jims_auto/DSCN58951.jpg

As you can see it does not remove any grease or tar

I am working on a white benz tomorrow and will take more pictures.
I plan to put together a quick video later this week.

I email Iron-x directly today with questions and concerns as they don't list a number being in Cyprus they returned my email very promptly within an hour to my surprise.

I also call Mike P at Autogeek and he took the time to explain what he know about the product.

Mike thanks for your help today

So far the only down side I see is the cost. I'm guessing the cost to do an average car will be 3 to 8 dollars depending on condition. This product will certainly save a lot of time on light colored cars with a lot of rail dust or other metal contaminates.

I don't think this product is necessary for every car but should save some time on light covered cars.

Hope to post for later in the week

We had done a detail on this truck last week and didn't have the iron-x in yet. It came in today for mudguards so it was a perfect time to try it out