PDA

View Full Version : What canopies are u using?

roguish-desires
05-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm looking for a quality pop up canopy and was wondering what everyone is using and what size?

Thanks

oldmodman
05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a semi permanent 12 X 20 canopy that I got at Costco. It's now 8 years old and still holding up fine.

But here is a tip for anyone using a canopy in any wind. I have seen people use sandbags, buckets of water on the feet, etc.
But I tried something a little different. I saw a kiddy pool toy at Big Lots and bought a few of them. They are intended top be used in the pool by blowing them up with air, but I filled them with water and set them on the base of the canopy's feet. One on each foot equaled 120 pounds of water. (my canopy had eight legs)

roguish-desires
05-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Great tip! I'll definitely keep it in mind when I get one!

I've seen the 10' x 10' ones up and it just seems a little cramped under it. Then of course there's the question of straignt legs or slanted, steel frame or aluminum, drop down sides, etc.

:dunno:

Perfections
05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Straight leg 12x12 minimum if your using it for detailing, and not the ez up regency, 2 have broke on me with minimum wind :(

ShineTimeDetail
05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I picked me a 10x15 from pep boys the day I drove home from FL( we don't have pep boys in stl). I can set it up myself in 2-3 minutes. I'm going to buy 4- 25 or 35 lbs weights (work out weights) to hold my canopy down. I don't want to have to use 20 gallons of water every time I set my canopy up- To much hassle with buckets and such. I am going to get a white side for it. I have a black top but I figure a white side will let a good amount of light in so its not too dark.

roguish-desires
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Straight leg 12x12 minimum if your using it for detailing, and not the ez up regency, 2 have broke on me with minimum wind :(

Thanks for the feedback! In doing my research I found that the ez ups are faulted for not being weather worthy.

I picked me a 10x15 from pep boys the day I drove home from FL( we don't have pep boys in stl). I can set it up myself in 2-3 minutes.

I've looked at the Pep Boys canapies but they don't have any on display so I was leery about pulling the trigger. Tom what's your initial thoughts on quality and have you tested it in any type of wind or rain?

MaximumMD
05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
I have only one 10x10 popup but I want to get two and strap them together to give me the distance to cover a whole car. Then get a 30' cloth to cover two sides to give me shade no matter where the sun is. I can even put my logo on it. Figure it would draw a lot of attention. Figure two pop ups are cheaper and smaller to pack around. Never heard about durability problems but then again haven't tried to detail a car in a wind storm.

Tom Weed
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
check out the hutshop.com, I got my 2 10X15's from them, I just purchased some sidewalls as well. I use the 5 gallon buckets filled with water and lids then bungy them to the legs, I also got some good anchors for the grass and tied down the top, I just leave them up all summer.