PDA

View Full Version : My wife's white car

cutter
05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Just to clarify a bit...It used to be "my" white car...Last week I did the works on it...Washed, dryed, clayed, washed, then the Pinnacle "Twins"...It took me till after dark to finish the project and the dew had fallen in the mean time...The only sore spots I have found on her car is underneath the outside mirrors, and the door handles where the water drips down...I know I dryed this car meticulosly <sp> before the LSP...the next time I checked it, underneath the mirrors and door handles had streaks...I made sure to wash and rinse that area good...Don't know what happened.
INPUT...But be kind please...lol...

Mike Phillips
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
When you streaks in the paint, do you mean like stains? Or is the paint etched from water running in one place over time?

Or is just wax smears?

Can you wipe the offending streaks off with a spray detailer?

Have you tried polishing the area with some of the TSR by hand or machine?

Sounds like a minor issue...

:)

Silverstone
05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Water always stays in the mirrors. You have to fold the towel and go under and behind the glass because as soon as you move the car it comes dripping down. Pull open the door handles and wipe out any trapped water there too.

I actually have a small 2" by 4" flat sheet of stiff plastic (that I cut from one of those plastic packaging product hangers that are so notoriously hard to open), that I actually put a piece of blue tape on and wrote the words Crevice Tool on it (so it didn't get thrown out as junk) that I wrap a microfiber towel around and slide inside all the seams around the body to get the water out. Otherwise my wax applicator will pick it up and dilute the LSP.
Around the lights, molding, bumper cover seams, window trim, etc. Otherwise it would take a day or more to dry.

embolism
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
get a clean leaf blower (not one used to suck up stuff -- ask me how I know) and blow the water out of your mirrors, gas cap area, etc...

dougaross
05-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Or use air in aerosol can (used for blowing off computer gear)

oldmodman
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Or just an air compressor.

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 07:14 PM
This is pretty common.

Wash water migrates into the smallest areas waiting to drip down the side of your freshly waxed finish. This water dissolves dirt and grimes then leaves it's signature.

Something else that causes similar to this is some of the trim coating products tend to run once they become wet leaving those same signs, did you use something like Poorboy's World Trim Restore, Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant or similar product?

The use of compressed air could help in the future if it's just wash water...

cutter
05-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the input everyone...I'll use the leaf blower next time to see if that helps.

gatoman39
05-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I use the Metro MasterBlaster 8hp. It gets into places that no leaf blower can. For people without space for an air compressor, this thing has prodigious amount of power.

StoneRaizer
05-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Many Shop Vacs have a blower end (all of that sucked up air has to go somewhere eh?) with optional blower nozzles. Since many of us have Shop Vacs already, could this be used instead of a Master Blaster or leaf blower?

gatoman39
05-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Many Shop Vacs have a blower end (all of that sucked up air has to go somewhere eh?) with optional blower nozzles. Since many of us have Shop Vacs already, could this be used instead of a Master Blaster or leaf blower?

Yes, I have a 4 HP shop vac with the blower function as well. It does an OK job at blowing out the seams. The Masterblaster is a car dryer, where as the shop vac will only get at the seams. I have a Genesis V8. What kind of Hyundai do you have?