PDA

View Full Version : glass polishing

pixelmonkey
05-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I dont have a 7 car garage built yet, so the daily drivers are outside 24/7

i've seen a few threads about glass polishing and effects of acid rain.

from this, i've been looking at a few glass polishes and polishing kits and havent found a strait answer about application of polishes with a rotary buffer. OR would it be better to apply this with a DA?

I have 2 cars that I can play with and work on technique, but before I smear any product on a pad, I want to know if a Rotary will work, or if there is a better option.

thanks!
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Goose
05-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I recently bought some DP Glass restorer so I'd like to have some options also. Best pads using a DA.

Perfections
05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
If you don't care about dusting the griots glass pads and their glass polish makes quick work of water spots, scratches take some time though, they have two types of polish, go with the one that's more abrasive

dougaross
05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I just used Autoglym Glass Polishing Kit with excellent results. Kit comes with Autoglym glass polish, 3 3.5" polish pads and backing plate for either DA or rotary. Clayed glass and then used kit

pixelmonkey
05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
bump.

really want some more info.

- what is a comparable pad in a glass polishing kit
- i see the griots product listed on the autogeek store. does autogeek have others for order? *not seeing them right now*
- should I tape the car off to prevent ANY splatter of the glass polish from touching the paint?
- will this product wipe off without harm to the paint? *given some gets on the painted portion of a car*

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Perfections
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
bump.

really want some more info.

- what is a comparable pad in a glass polishing kit
- i see the griots product listed on the autogeek store. does autogeek have others for order? *not seeing them right now*
- should I tape the car off to prevent ANY splatter of the glass polish from touching the paint?
- will this product wipe off without harm to the paint? *given some gets on the painted portion of a car*

chris:D

1. Griots and lake country make glass specific pads made for the da, and diamondite uses a foam pad kinda like a compounding pad but for use with a drill, diamondite is the only "kit" but you can just buy pads and the polish and save yourself some money or go with the kit, while costing more will have everything you need
2. You can use the griots glass polish if you have heavy deposits to remove or just hit it with a compound like Meg's 105
3. Yes tape trim and paint you don't want and compound hitting the paint then try to remove it, possibly mar the surface

cutter
05-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Before you go to the trouble of buyiing a kit and hoping that it works well for you, try using a clay bar on your windshield. I've used it on my motorcycle windshield and it worked great at cleaning it to almost original. I have also heard of people here using it on their automobiles windshield. It's easy and in-expensive!!!

superd
05-12-2011, 12:30 PM
1. Griots and lake country make glass specific pads made for the da, and diamondite uses a foam pad kinda like a compounding pad but for use with a drill, diamondite is the only "kit" but you can just buy pads and the polish and save yourself some money or go with the kit, while costing more will have everything you need
2. You can use the griots glass polish if you have heavy deposits to remove or just hit it with a compound like Meg's 105
3. Yes tape trim and paint you don't want and compound hitting the paint then try to remove it, possibly mar the surface

I haven't thought to use the Meg's products. If you use the Meg's 105 what pad do you suggest? CCS orange or white? Do you follow it with anything?

:xyxthumbs: