PDA

View Full Version : Only Rinse Once While Washing?

maximus20895
05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
In another thread someone mentioned Adam's Wash Pad, while I never used a single Adam's product I still looked at the pad.

While I was there, I saw a video and he said that most people wash a panel and then rinse, wash another then rinse etc. He said that you should only rinse after all panels are washed and that it's fine if the soap is drying as it is better than hard water.

Any reason why it would be bad to rinse after each panel or if dried soap is better than hard water?

Thanks! Im the MAN

flyinion
05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Oooooo definitely interested in the response about dried wash solution vs. dried rinse water after I had accidentally dried rinse water leave a "nice even coat" of water spots all over my front and rear windows yesterday.

maximus20895
05-09-2011, 06:45 PM
That's not fun. I hated drying the car because I would always see water spots. Now, it seems I wash a car like a madman trying to rinse each panel before the soap dries!

silverfox
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Three letters....ONR. Never ever had water spot issues with ONR.

BobbyG
05-09-2011, 06:53 PM
While I was there, I saw a video and he said that most people wash a panel and then rinse, wash another then rinse etc. He said that you should only rinse after all panels are washed and that it's fine if the soap is drying as it is better than hard water.

I watched the same video and wonder is there's something in his soap formulation that allows this approach? Maybe a wetting agent or something similar? I'm not a chemist just wondering out loud...:dunno:

TLMitchell
05-09-2011, 06:57 PM
......I saw a video and he said that most people wash a panel and then rinse, wash another then rinse etc. He said that you should only rinse after all panels are washed and that it's fine if the soap is drying as it is better than hard water.

I dunno how anyone would know what "most" people do. I wash in the garage so I don't have to deal with dried soap. While some guy thinks it's fine I find it a pain in the neck. Then again, I don't have to deal with overly hard water.

On an extended cab pickup you've got to have a system cuz there's a lot of real estate there. My regiman is horizontal surfaces first, rinse, one full side and rear, rinse, other full side and front, rinse. Wheels and wells last unless they're really cruddy then they get done first with a separate bucket.

I think if I was washing outside I'd be doing a panel at a time then rinse. I'm personally anti dried soap residue. Different strokes.

TL

Setec Astronomy
05-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Both hard water spots and dried soap residue stink; IMO you have to keep the car wet until you are ready to dry.

Porsche Pilot
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I watched the same video and wonder is there's something in his soap formulation that allows this approach? Maybe a wetting agent or something similar? I'm not a chemist just wondering out loud...:dunno:
I think you have hit on something Bobby. I have used Adams car wash solution, in full sun and did one rinse when finished. The soap did not dry on the car or leave a nasty film. It all rinsed away. I dont know what the formulation is but a wetting agent sounds legit. I havent used the brand in some time so I cant comment on the current formulations but it worked pretty good for me.

Old Tiger
05-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Three letters....ONR. Never ever had water spot issues with ONR.
You beat me to it! I am blessed to live in a place with very soft water. ONR is my favorite wash but I hose the vehicle off first. If my water was hard, I would add an ounce of ONR to every bucket of car wash!

Old Tiger
05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Both hard water spots and dried soap residue stink; IMO you have to keep the car wet until you are ready to dry.
Well said!

Bunky
05-09-2011, 07:26 PM
My regiman is horizontal surfaces first, rinse, one full side and rear, rinse, other full side and front, rinse. Wheels and wells last unless they're really cruddy then they get done first with a separate bucket.

This is my process outside. I wash in the morning or evening but never really had much of an issue with spot but then I have a whole house water softener.

I was actually trying to see what happens if I did not rinse since I had seen the Adam's video.

The soap did not dry on the car or leave a nasty film. It all rinsed away. I dont know what the formulation is but a wetting agent sounds legit. I havent used the brand in some time so I cant comment on the current formulations but it worked pretty good for me.

I have tried many brands (Optimum may favorite) but recently picked up some Griot's and it seemed to rinse very well but I notice it does not suds like Optimum (lighter suds). I am trying to find a way to compare them.