PDA

View Full Version : Informal training or vids for Paintless Dent Repair

Gurge
05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
something odd happened yesterday that could prove to be destiny or disaster i feel like

I steamed & polished a truck for a woman, who's husband recently closed an auto repair shop. After busting ass on the truck all day, and talking fishing with him, he gave me quite an interesting tip

It was completely unused and i'm not quite sure why. I don't know how he got it, or how much he paid. but he just gave it to me. It was a paintless dent repair kit. The glue gun kit. on amazon and other sites they go for $200-$250 with the exact components i have with my kit. He said to get good with it so i can pull some dents from his porsche. Why he has not attempted this on his own i do not know.

the point of this post is - does anyone have any websites or videos that go over the PDR thing? as far as 'how to' or what not to do. i'm really not even clear on what types / sizes of dents i'm capable of repairing with a kit like this. I also see a mention on sites that carry the product to only use it on oem cured paint and i'm not sure why

I know formal training is recommended. And that's why i mentioned potential disaster in my future. I'd like to learn on some friends cars, but i'm scared to make something small much worse.

any info appreciated. Didn't find much on the search. I'm sure i'll be on youtube looking. but i havent had the chance (at the day job now where its blocked). Thanks...

serenity
05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Do you have pictures of the kit? I know the professional tools cost thousands and the training costs thousands as well.

ScubaCougr
05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
It was a paintless dent repair kit. The glue gun kit. on amazon and other sites they go for $200-$250 with the exact components i have with my kit. He said to get good with it so i can pull some dents from his porsche. Why he has not attempted this on his own i do not know.

The one experience with PDR I've had, the operator massaged out a huge door dent from the backside, working inside the door. Can't speak to how well the front-side approach will work.

You might check partner-site Autopia-carcare.com. They used to have a PDR section that might have some ideas for you.

Ron Atchison
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Go to youtube, there are countless videos there on pdr. In fact I just had a dent removed this week from my black Z4. I had read quite a bit about it myself as I was having a real problem finding someone in my area and was thinking about doing it myself. The guy that did mine travels about 50 miles to the dealers in my area and I was able to get him on the day he was in my area. I was lucky enough that the guy came to my house so I was able to watch and talk with him about how he learned to do it. Seems most classes are two to three weeks long and I have no idea about the cost. I would imagine you would end up with a few thousand dollars invested by the time you were done. Then you have to learn to get good at it. Basically he worked for a guy that then retired and he went on his own but did say it was about 6 months before his teacher ever let him touch a customer car. He said he would go to the junk yard and get banged up panels to practice on making different kinds of dents in them and working them out. Good luck to you. Find a junk door and have at it!

trencher7
05-09-2011, 04:40 PM
I just bought one of these dent hammers as well. You really need to get one of those lights with the lines to see the high spots after you pull out a dent. I gave it a try on a couple door dings and it improved them about 80%. I heard the small ones may not get any better than that.

Gurge
05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
thanks for the replies. havent had a chance but I plan to look on youtube for sure. and i didn't know autopia had a pdr section. i'll look there too

this is the exact kit i have. does not include any tools for pushing out a dent from behind. and some of the glue kits include a slde hammer. this does not.

Amazon.com: Dent Fix (DFXPK100) Paintless Dent Repair Glue Puller Kit: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Dent-Fix-DFXPK100-Paintless-Repair/dp/B0006HB1D2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1305120060&sr=8-6)

The junkyard idea isn't a bad one. maybe if i'm bored one day i'll pop over there

BillyJack
05-11-2011, 09:44 AM
As a manager for a new/used car dealer, I've been using PDR guys for almost 20 years. It's truly more of an art form than a science. My current vendor is the best I've ever seen. He uses the glue-and-pull process rarely, relying on his skill with his various push and pry tools for most of his work. As stated earlier, get a used panel, dent it yourself, and practice, practice, practice.

Bill

Fast Eddie
05-11-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm fortunate to have a great PDR guy at our shop and like stated above, it's definitely an art. No way it's something you can learn by watching a video or reading a book, that's for sure.