PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer tips

lee1dew
05-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Any tips on using a pressure washer to pre-rinse a car?

I decided to use my Karcher electric (first time using it on the paint) to pre-rinse my wife's car before doing an ONR wash. I left the pressure setting at max (1600 psi?), kept the wand tip about two to three feet away from the paint, and it did a pretty good job at taking off loose dust and dirt without using much water. It made the ONR wash go quite a bit quicker since there was less dirt to clean.

Anyone else do their ONR washes this way? Should I have any concerns about damaging the paint? I didn't notice any problems on my wife's car.

P.S. I also tried 845IW and UTTG for the first time with this wash. Both products are excellent, especially the UTTG.

AeroCleanse
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't do my ONR washes that way. I'll have to try it though, sounds like a good way.

4everRS
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I've always had good results using a pressure washer. As long as your smart about it and don't get too close. It also works great for getting under the car. Here in MN, there is a lot of salt and dirt on the roads in the winter, and it's nice to get that grime off every now and then.

brawl
05-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Wouldn't it affect the potency of the ONR? The water beads left by the PW will surely dilute ONR more.

lee1dew
05-10-2011, 01:30 AM
The extra water didn't seem to make a difference, but you could always add a little extra ONR in your solution to be safe.

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I think any time dirt and debris can be removed from the finish without touching it is a plus.

Soaking or wetting the finish prior to washing is just about mandatory in my book. It begins to dissolve and loosen the dirt making it much easier to wash. Adding some pressure behind the water should only help...

mdb917
05-10-2011, 07:43 AM
:iagree:

With one thought, as 4everRS cautions do not get too close with a pressure washer. Electric washers are more than capable of peeling paint if you get overly zealous.

newb001
05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I was about to post this exact same question this morning! To confirm, I should stay about 1-2 feet away from the car? Also, is it better to spray the car at a 90 degree angle, 45, etc...?

Thanks!

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I was about to post this exact same question this morning! To confirm, I should stay about 1-2 feet away from the car? Also, is it better to spray the car at a 90 degree angle, 45, etc...?

Thanks!

I really don't think it matters as long as you're not damaging the finish and it's performing as expected.

ShaunD
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
To save even more water and help an ONR/waterless wash you can use a Cal. Duster if there is only, mostly, dust/light dirt on the vehicle. I know some people don't trust dusters, but, used properly they can save you time/energy/water. I just picked up the 1600 psi electric Karcher from a wholesale club so I don't have to use a loud/gas guzzling pressure washer that uses twice the water as an elec. model and way more psi than need for cleaning the general vehicle. I have been waiting to ONR my truck and think I will use the elec. P/W for a quick pre-rinse as well. Thanks for the thread lee.:)

jfelbab
05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I have a PW that has a couple of onboard detergent tanks. I add my favorite carwash to one and APC to the other. I use the low pressure tool (~1000) for wetting and rinsing the car. I then use the soap tank and foam the car, switch to the APC tank and hit the wheels, tires and under-carrage. I wash the paint with a 2 bucket method and then finally go back to the low pressure tool to rinse it all off. I remove the hose from the PW and do a water sheeting move to rid the paint of most of the water then blot dry with a waffle-weave microfiber towels.

The pressure washer is a great time and water saver when I'm doing several cars at once. It is also a better choice, IMHO, for dealing with really dirty vehicles then rinseless or waterless options.

Lala
05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I know I will feel like a fool but what is ONR

BobbyG
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I know I will feel like a fool but what is ONR

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!! :props:

ONR is an acronym for Optimum No Rinse rinseless car wash.

I find acronyms generate more questions than answers....

lee1dew
05-10-2011, 12:28 PM
I also started using a leaf blower to get the ONR solution out of crevices, gas cap area, side mirrors, etc. I wonder if it would be a good idea to blow the pre-rinse water off of the paint before doing the ONR to prevent the pre-rinse water from diluting the ONR solution.