PDA

View Full Version : not pleased with Megs backing plate

05xrunner
05-09-2011, 07:21 AM
So I got the Griots DA and ordered the 5" megs backing plate for my megs MF pads. Over the weekend. I used the Griots with a 5.5" low profile crimson HT pad. Since the Megs backing plate has shorter hook and loop compared to the Lake country one I had on my PC. it doesnt grab the HT pad very well. While using on the car..the pad would shift a little and then the backing plate started cutting into the HT pad cause it was no longer centered. Also at one point I was cleaning off the pad it totally let go and almost flew off but it caught itself at the edge of the backing plate and didnt hit the floor..in the end it trashed the pad and had to throw it out..I wonder if anyone else had this issue. I might ditch the megs backing plate and just get another lake Country

Perfections
05-09-2011, 08:09 AM
I melted my Meg's bp, but it was using a brand new griots on a full correction, personally I think the GG da has a break in period where it creates a lot of heat until it's broken in, I've also experienced what your talking about with the pads slipping, chucked one across the yard, although I thought it was funny but wouldn't be laughing if it happened on a customers car, luckily it happened while just cleaning a pad on the fly and once I took the towel off it was still spinning hard and flew like a frisbee :)

05xrunner
05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
my GG really didnt feel like it made much heat. I am glad it didnt let go or fully fail and separate while it was on the paint.

jamores23
05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
im with you on this one you can hear the pad flopping while your getting edges or corners....

05xrunner
05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
think i am gonna just replace it with the Lake Country one..id rather it have a super strong grip and just take a little extra care removing..then not enough grip and make the pads slip and tear themself apart.

serenity
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Why would you ditch the megs backing plate when you need it for the mf system? I would just get another backing plate for your foam pads. Fyi I've never had any problems with Lake country pads on a megs back plate but I haven't used the hydrotechs so maybe they don't play well with the megs back plate.

05xrunner
05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
There is no real need for the megs plate and the MF system I think..I think its more to do with the Velcro on the pads and megs backing plate they say to get it..cause the lake country hook n loop is longer and when you have the MF pads on it..they are really stuck on there..and it takes some force to pull off..so less chance of separating the pads on the megs backing plate. I used the backing plate off my original PC that had the longer hook n loop and I had no problems with the MF pads using them few times I did..i just made sure I had a firm grip of the whole pad taking them off to not damage. I would rather the backing plate have a firm grasp of the pads and just give it a little extra care in removing then the pads slipping around and flying off.

5.4 Shelby
05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
The megs plate is designed for MF pads and has shorter loops. IT should work just fine with your MF pads.

With that said, I have used LC CCS pads with mine and had no trouble.