PDA

View Full Version : Ipa ?

Nick B
05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I see this often . What does it stand for and what does it do ?
Thanks in advance .

S2K
05-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Isopropyl alcohol. It cleans any polish or compound from your paint before your LSP.
(Thought i'd throw another one at ya!)

Rayaz
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Isoprophyl alcohol. A diluted mixture of IPA and distilled water is used as a wipe down after polishing to reveal the true condition of the paint by removing oils and fillers. The actual mixture is covered by Mike Phillips in one of his articles. Hope this helps.

Nick B
05-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Are we talking about the alcohol we buy at the drug store or the alcohol we buy at the hardware store in the paint department ?

BobbyG
05-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Are we talking about the alcohol we buy at the drug store or the alcohol we buy at the hardware store in the paint department ?

Drug Store, Wal-Mart, Department Store, Grocery Store, 70% or 90% and dilute it. I generally dilute it 1/2 Alcohol & 1/2 water..Put it in a regular spray bottle and you're good to go!!

Setec Astronomy
05-08-2011, 07:52 AM
IPA = India Pale Ale

That's for when you're done with the detail you sit back with one and admire your work or drown your sorrows because you didn't get all the swirls out!

Nah...listen to the other guys, not to me!

tuscarora dave
05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
I like to use IPA as a drying aid between washing and applying an LSP. The water comes up quicker and I think the LSP bonds better. Instead of diluting the IPA I just spritz it on a wet panel @ 90% and wipe dry cutting out an extra step in the process.

I have a separate bottle mixed for use after polishing to reveal the true condition of the paint on paint correction jobs.