PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanded today

nbk13nw
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I finally got up the nerve to wet sand my hood today. I had an "ex-girlfriend" incident back in November. She took handfuls of rocks and proceeded to run them in circles over my hood.

Well, I took some 1500 paper and did the hood from center to outside on each side, then 2000 paper from back to front on each side. I then took an Edge light cutting pad and some Zaino ZPC with the PC on a medium speed and using some pressure. I took many passes on each area, maybe 3 to 5. And still some slight scratches appear to be left from the 2000 paper.

I even tried some 3M Fine cut and still these scratches persist. I think I may need a slightly more aggresive product or pad.. or both to finish it off.

I just ordered some Optimum compound (OPT-700) and an Edge Yellow cutting pad. You think that this should do the trick?

SpoiledMan
04-24-2006, 02:08 AM
More than likely you need a rotary to remove all of the sanding marks.

klnyc
04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
You got any pics to show us?

nbk13nw
04-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Sorry, no camera right now, I lent it to someone and they still have it.

I know they are from the final sanding (2000 Grit) since all of the slight scratches are going from left to right across the hood. They are slight but still visible. I think that maybe I need a little more pressure at a higher speed on the PC. If I recall I was moving along at about a setting of 4 with moderate pressure. Possibly moving to fast as well.

FloridaNative
05-03-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't know if this will be of any help to you or not. I myself have never wet sanded, but it seemed pretty informative. I hope it helps. Sorry about the ex. Man, that sucks! Take care.

http://www.meguiars.com/video/ This link has a how to video on color sanding and how to remove the marks afterwards

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html This link has various videos using the PC, but one is for heavy marring that might help you.

nbk13nw
05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I found those a week or so ago. Just prior to starting. The end result is that the scratches are gone. I used some Optimum compound with an Edge 2000 yellow pad. I am waiting on some Optimum polish and plan to use a light pad to get the minor hazing and other imperfections out of the hood. I expect that it will look great when completed. It already looks beter than factory. ll of the orange peel is gone. But the downside is that it makes me want to do the entire car.

Meghan
05-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Big question is... are you more selective on your girlfriend choices now?:eek: A girl that disrespects your car, well that's just not a good choice! Hee hee :D

nbk13nw
05-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Big question is... are you more selective on your girlfriend choices now?:eek: A girl that disrespects your car, well that's just not a good choice! Hee hee :D

Absolutely!

cvisinho
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I would Kill:)

BritOn2wheels
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
That's why she's the EX-girlfriend. :p

Kelso
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
damn...she is smart though.... apparently she knows your obsessed with the car( im assuming you are if your on here) so she hit you where it hurts...i would have been screaming for about a half an hour , till i thought up my plan for revenge!

nbk13nw
05-04-2006, 11:23 PM
You guys are too freakin funny! I guess that is why I am on here as well!:D