PDA

View Full Version : Which one first?

pjking
05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Going to wash and wax the car tomorrow and have a few questions....
1. After I wash and clay, I have meguiars scratchx and their ultimate compound and Im not sure about which one I would use first to attack some of the scratches and other problem areas.
2. I was planning to do this all by hand ( don't have a polisher yet :) ) not really a question just a heads up
3. I also plan on using meguiars ultimate polish and wax afterwards and was looking for any handy tips from anyone that has used this product before.

I've been reading on the forums and it seems like there are a lot of products by other companies that people prefer more and that I am excited to try but for now I will use the meguiars stuff I have. Since I have a lot and get it at a good price through a family member.

Any input would be appreciated!

Btw I drive an 08 civic in black :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

pfix
05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Start off with your least aggressive product first to see if that will remove the defects. Ultimate Compound is the most abrasive product out the ones you have listed so that would be my if all else failed product. I am not sure if ScratchX is more or less aggressive than the Ultimate Polish. If I had to guess, I would say ScratchX is the more aggressive.

Do a test spot and start with the polish, if that does not remove the defects go to the ScratchX and then if it fails go with the Ultimate Compound.

Maybe someone else can chime in on ScratchX vs Ultimate Polish in terms of aggressiveness.

pjking
05-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok cool thanks for the heads up... I will give it a try in that order ( polish, scratchx, compound)
Thanks!

Crazy Amos
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
What type of applicators are you using?

pjking
05-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I have foam, microfiber, and some other ones I think. I'm not at home right now so I'm not 100% sure...... I'm assuming by your question I should use certain ones :)

JSMet
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
I believe pfix is right about the scale of agressiveness of the products mentioned. AG has a swirl remover/compound comparison chart that you can view over the internet. I google it when I try to see which one I can use for a project, and how it compares to other brands.

pjking
05-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I will give it a look..... thanks

embolism
05-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Here's Mike's article on this

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23583-aggressiveness-order-smat-products-might-surprise-you.html