PDA

View Full Version : just went through car wash hell!

timaishu
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
My car was pretty dirty today and had bird crap on it, but I didnt want to do a full wash today. So I went to a touchless car wash to get some dirt off.

Everything was going okay till the pressure rinse came on. I could hear a loud vibrating/buzzing sound when it started but I couldnt tell from what. I looked at the whirling spinning pressure wands and one of them was on the full power dot setting! It was sending a thin stream of high pressure water at my paint! :help:

My heart started pounding. I was on the verge of flooring it out of that damned bay but I think the shock and fear of what was happening stopped me in my tracks. I stayed through the whole cycle.

When it was over I got out of my car expecting to see paint ripped of the car but thankfully there was no damage at all. Im honestly shocked. Wouldnt a machine like that put out immense water pressure? I should have reported it to the owner but I wanted to just get the hell out of there.

Probably some punk as kid who turned the nozzle or something. Ive been through this one before and never had issues. I dont think I will be going there ever again after that.

BobbyG
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
It just shows you how hard the paints on vehicles are today and also its adhesion !! :props:

S2K
05-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I used to work in the parts dept of a dealership and every car wash in town had an account with us. I sold them antennas, mirrors, grills and various trim pieces all the time. This was before I knew (or cared) anything about detailing but I did know I wouldn't take my car to an auto car wash.

timaishu
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I dont think there's anything wrong with an autowash as long as its not a swirl-o matic model with guys waiting at the other end with red shop rags to dry your car.

This is the first time Ive ever had an issue of any sort.

ScottB
05-07-2011, 06:37 PM
We once tested the effectiveness of these touchless washes. Afterwards we test wiped several areas with white MF gloves. Needless to say Id save my $$ till I could wash, they only remove light dust and loose dirt.

Crazy Amos
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
We once tested the effectiveness of these touchless washes. Afterwards we test wiped several areas with white MF gloves. Needless to say Id save my $$ till I could wash, they only remove light dust and loose dirt.

And the chemicals they use for the presoak are pretty much a degreaser that strips sealants.

I've tested this too. The triple color (clear coat conditioning) foam is some strong strong stuff. It's strips lsp really quick. Makes sense because how else are they supposed to clean without friction? This stuffs breaks it up to be rinsed away.

timaishu
05-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Im not saying that Im expecting it to be as clean as when I hand wash. I just wanted it to look better. It was covered in lots of dust. I dont care if the LSP got stripped. Its about time I wax again anyways. Been about a month and a half.

S2K
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
I dont think there's anything wrong with an autowash as long as its not a swirl-o matic model with guys waiting at the other end with red shop rags to dry your car.

This is the first time Ive ever had an issue of any sort.

I think the ones I referenced were pretty much just what you just described.

flyinion
05-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Just curious, what do you guys think about the soft cloth washes? NOT the "standard" "gas station plastic bristle" car washes that have been around forever and some still have them, but the ones that use cloth instead.

prisonerofcs
05-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Just curious, what do you guys think about the soft cloth washes? NOT the "standard" "gas station plastic bristle" car washes that have been around forever and some still have them, but the ones that use cloth instead.

Most of the washes In my area are what I would call the mop type. They don't brush, they just drop damp pieces of cloth all over the car. I haven't noticed any damage from them per se, but the people on the end drying usually do a pretty bad job. I've seen them put scratches in my car before my eyes. I've also seen the gloss from the wash fade when the car is dry to reveal tons of streaks and swirls.

I just keep a bottle of Duragloss aquawax with me and wash the car once a week myself. I can do a basic was hand dry in almost the same amount of time that I spend at the car-wash and I know I do a better job.

There used to be a couple good hand wash operations in my town, now the only ones left are in the ghetto :)

C. Charles Hahn
05-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Consider yourself lucky! Here's what a pressure washer in the hands of a pimple-faced moron at the dealer did to me once:

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/my_TBSS/damage1.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/my_TBSS/damage2.JPG

timaishu
05-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Thats terrible! The dealer didnt pay to fix it?

I must be lucky! I mean that thing that was slashing my car all over the place front to back hitting with that jet of water. I really cant believe it didnt damage it. The buzzing/vibration it was making scared the crap out of me. It sounded so brutal.