PDA

View Full Version : LC 5" flat pad ?

jwf1999
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Well did my first correction today. Car was a 11 year old eclipse tons of swirls, rids, and rock chips he just wanted the swirls out so i did what i could. My question is i destroyed 1 LC orange pad with m105 today and my 2nd pad isnt doing so good either. First pad the backing spearated and 2nd is about ready to go. Using a pcxp, temps were between 90-97 today but dry and in the shade garage and 10x10 ezup with sides. Why did my pad fail their brand new was cleaning them every 1/2 panel or so when they would start to clog up. car paint surface was prolly 90 degrees before and 110ish after making 5-6 passes per section. I got just over 1/2 way when the first pad died. Just worries me that im doing something wrong even tho the car turned out great, i dont know why the pad/s are failing.

Crazy Amos
05-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Did you only use the two pads? What failed on them? The foam or adhesive/backing?

jwf1999
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
adhesive backing failed miserably on the first and is about to on the 2nd. And yes i only used 2 orange pads. i also have 2 whites, 2 greys 2 blues for other polishes and such. But mostly just wondering why the orange pads are failing with the m105 on pcxp.

Crazy Amos
05-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Couldve been one of two things, or both.

1. It seems that there have been a few of these instances being posted lately. All are having the same issue where the backing is seperating. It could be LC had a bad batch escape and you were one of the unlucky ones to receive one of these pads. I would call LC and see if there has been a quality alert of some sort and ask if they will replace it. A current receipt may be helpful. You could also call AG and ask them for help as well.

LC is a very reputable foam manufacturer and in my opinion offers the most durable foam available. I wouldnt let this deter you from buying their pads in the future.

2. This is probably more likely. Being that you only used the two pads on the entire car and the combo of the orange and 105 being aggressive which removes a good deal of paint, I think the pads heated up and caused the adhesive to soften and seperate.

A "loaded" or saturated/wet pad heats up very quickly. The reason a loaded pad heats faster than an "unloaded" pad is because as you use it, the pores of the foam become clogged. If you use the same pad too much, the moisture, whether it be water or oils, start to work their way further and further into the center of the pad, and clog/fill the pores and limiting their ability to dissipate heat.

As you work, the heat travels from the face through the pad to the backing. This is the point when the adhesive will start to soften and eventually seperate.

Once the center or "meat" of the pad has become saturated, you can clean and clean the face of the pad but center remains saturated.

I know you are probably thinking, well I was only using a PC? This doesn't happen too often but given the outside temp of 90-97 and clogged pores (if that was the case), it may just have been the right circumstances.

How/what do you use to clean your pad?

Hope this helps some.