PDA

View Full Version : gel coat on camper

cadd
05-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Hello my fellow detail fanatics...got a question for ya'll today. I have a friend that wants me to wax his camper. I have never polished/waxed a camper before, but told him I would give it a shot. He said it has a gel coat..so my question is....can I use my typical polishes and waxes that I use for detailing cars. Or does it require something strictly for use on campers. Thanks for any advice

master detailer
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Hello my fellow detail fanatics...got a question for ya'll today. I have a friend that wants me to wax his camper. I have never polished/waxed a camper before, but told him I would give it a shot. He said it has a gel coat..so my question is....can I use my typical polishes and waxes that I use for detailing cars. Or does it require something strictly for use on campers. Thanks for any advice
i its just jelcoat paint on the side yes car stuff will work just fine.

rwright
05-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Personally I would use Duragloss #501 Marine/RV Polish. It cleans and protects at the same time :)

Sent using Tapatalk

cadd
05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Will give it a try..thanks for the input

Mike Phillips
05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
For things like Campers, RV's, large Boats, you normally want to use a one-step cleaner/wax as you don't want to do a multiple-step process as it will take a long time.

Remember, besides applying each product you'll also have to wipe off the product from each step, so a 2-3 step process on something large will take a long time an also take a lot of energy, not to mention product, pads and microfiber towels.

Stick with a one-step cleaner wax like the Duragloss #501 Marine/RV Polish already mentioned or any other good quality one-step cleaner/wax.

I have list of most of the ones we care here,

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-how-choose-right-wax-paint-sealant-your-detailing-project.html)

Gel-coat is typically a lot thicker than a factory clear coat and you can safely get more aggressive. One of the primary difference between Marine/RV products and Automotive products is that the abrasive products in a Marine line tend to be a lot more aggressive.

Clear coats become ugly when they have swirls and scratches as the swirls and scratches in the clear layer create a hazy look in bright sun or bright light and they block your view of the underlying color coat.

Gel-coats tend to oxidize and turn chalky.

If a gel-coat finish is neglected it will be oxidized and usually stained and as you machine buff you'll remove a lot of dead gel-coat off the camper and onto your pads, so you'll want to clean your pads often.

Pad Cleaning

Why it's important to clean your pads often... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/28755-why-s-important-clean-your-pads-often.html)

How to clean your foam pad on the fly (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html)

Have fun!

:)

davidc
05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
This was a response from Mike at Collinite when I asked what they has that I could use on gelcoat. I have not tried it yet as the Klasse and Zaino experiments are still on going.

What some people will do is apply a coat of our #870 Liquid Fleetwax first and then apply a coat of #845 Insulator Wax for extra protection. The #870 cleans and applies a light coat of wax all in one application whereas the #845 is a pure liquid wax that will provide a longer-lasting coat of protection compared to the #870.

Dave

cadd
05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the thread Mike. I agree...I definately want a one step product. This camper is 28ft long ! Now the only problem is how much should I charge. He doesnt expect me to do it for free, but I do want to give hime a decent deal, since he is a long time friend.