PDA

View Full Version : Best Garage Lighting

05RLS2
05-07-2011, 12:40 AM
I am looking to get into a different house soon, and I am already planning ideas on what I want to do with the garage. First thing I want to do is install some good lighting, since my current setup has more to be desired. In the garage I have now, I have 4 cheapo 4' dual fluroscent T8s installed, but they way they are arranged isn't really the best for detailing. I'd also like to get something a little brighter also, since I prefer detailing in the evening so the more light the better. What other kind of options are there out there, and what's on the better and higher end scale of garage lighting? I don't want to spend $1,000+ on this, but I'm willing to spend a good amount for great lighting. What kind of lighting do you all suggest?

BobbyG
05-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Get [4] 8 foot high output fixtures and bulbs. This will supply allot of light and cost you about $350.... :props:

Bunky
05-07-2011, 07:16 AM
I think the key is to get some lights on the sides to get better side illumination. If mounted on a side wall at an angle is probably even better.

TornadoRed
05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
With the research I've done, you want bulbs with the highest cri. I think T12s have a higher cri than T8s. I had a low budget and chose T8 and can only find a cri of 86 locally. I also put two different bulbs with different color temps in each fixture.

TroyScherer
05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Get [4] 8 foot high output fixtures and bulbs. This will supply allot of light and cost you about $350.... :props:

I just re-did the overhead lighting in my garage last summer. I on;y had 2 - 50w single light bulbs. I installed 4 - 4' dual fluorescent lights w/ cold weather start-up feature. I do believe they are T8 bulbs. This is close to what I purchased. 48inch Fluorescent Shop Light at Menards (http://www.menards.com/main/lights-fans/indoor-lights/flourescent/48inch-fluorescent-shoplight/p-1469672-c-7242.htm)

I actually took the old lights out and installed outlet boxes on the ceiling in their place. This allowed me to move my 4' lights around and spread them out to get better coverage. The light I bought came with a cord and plug instead of being hardwired in. So for me this really worked out better.

After quit a bit of research I chose a 4' length for the main reason that the bulbs were much cheaper to replace. But when purchasing the bulbs I bought the highest color temp and output possible.

I'm not sure where you are located but the Cold start feature for me is a must. I wanted to make sure they worked in the winter. Nothing worse than flipping the switch and the ballast's can start because it is to cold.