PDA

View Full Version : Need new M105 alternative

Pages : [1] 2

jayhkr
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, been a long time since I've posted here. Been a LONG LONG LONG winter and today I got to get out and give my pickup a little attention she's been begging for. Since I have no garage, I have to wait on Mother Nature to cooperate with me on my days off. So the past few days I've gone through the ritual of washing, claying, re-washing, drying, M105, IPA, M205, IPA, Natty's Blue Wax (yes I skipped the sealant as it's suppose to rain tonight). Here's my thing, I want a product like M105 that acts like M205! LOL I want my cake and eat it too type of thing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cutting ability of M105, but I HATE HATE HATE that it 1) dries so darn quick, 2) leaves a TON of dust and 3) OMG if you lift that pad off the paint while its still spinning be prepared to tackle THAT problem. So, since I've been away for about a year and I've totally forgotten what other have recommended about this, I thought I would bring this debate back up. Suggestions?!!

Setec Astronomy
05-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Ok, some people have said that Meg's Ultimate Compound, which is sort of the consumer version of 105, is a little more user friendly, albeit having a bit less cut. The real solution that's popped up in the year since you've been here is the Meg's DA Microfiber system. You've got to buy the MF pad and the compound and it does have its limitations (prefers hard factory paint) but should give you almost the cut of 105 in perhaps less time with almost no splatter and dust plus easy wipeoff. I can't speak to either of these since I don't have the UC and I haven't gotten to use my DA MF yet.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-microfiber-system.html)

Dr Oldz
05-06-2011, 11:02 PM
OPT hyper compound spray is the longest working compound that I have used. Little if any dust and wipes off rather easily but doesn't have the cut that 105 does. Menzerna Powergloss and/or SIP may also be worth looking into.

Setec Astronomy
05-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Shoot, Powergloss is going to dust like an SOB and won't leave the finish of 105. The Hyper Compound spray is a good idea, tho.

Dr Oldz
05-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Shoot, Powergloss is going to dust like an SOB and won't leave the finish of 105. The Hyper Compound spray is a good idea, tho.

I have used powergloss only a few times and I don't RECALL much dusting. My mind is possibly going.... Thanks for the correction! Hyper compound spray is indeed super user friendly!

James K
05-06-2011, 11:22 PM
OPT hyper compound spray is the longest working compound that I have used. Little if any dust and wipes off rather easily but doesn't have the cut that 105 does. Menzerna Powergloss and/or SIP may also be worth looking into.
I love the Hyper Compound. So easy to work with.

bmwgeek
05-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Is menzerna power gloss a diminishing polish?

jayhkr
05-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I'll have to look into the hyper compound then. I have just about had my wits end to 105. It's a love/hate relationship. I really like it for what it does, just that the side-effects are crap. Thanks guys for your input!

jlb85
05-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Use a pad conditioner or a very light sprits of baby oil to make M105 slightly better to work with. But D300 is really good, wipes like M205, almost no dust... I have yet to try it without the MF pads, but someone should (or has)!

331TwistedWedge
05-07-2011, 12:07 AM
i read on another website to cut the 105 with OP, i dont know what (OP) is??? ... 70/30 cut to keep it working longer without gumming up ... the next time i use it, im going to try cutting it with the 205 ...

i killed myself using the 105, but the results were worth it ... i found using a lot made it easier to work with ... very small sections using a surbuf pad ...

good luck.........

Mike Burke
05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I vote for Meg's Ultimate Compound
I really like it ...........you should at least try it. Its inexpensive and available at almost all auto stores.

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2011, 06:09 AM
I have used powergloss only a few times and I don't RECALL much dusting. My mind is possibly going.... Thanks for the correction! Hyper compound spray is indeed super user friendly!

I haven't used it much either, but is certainly is going to be more dusty than one of the newer solutions. PG may not be quite an "old school" compound, but it's not "new school" either.

Is menzerna power gloss a diminishing polish?

Yes, it's a diminishing abrasive.

i read on another website to cut the 105 with OP, i dont know what (OP) is??? ... 70/30 cut to keep it working longer without gumming up ... the next time i use it, im going to try cutting it with the 205 ...

They are talking about cutting it with Optimum Polish (non-spray). When the original Optimum Polishes (Polish, Compound, and Hyper Compound) came out around 2005 they had very little cut (relative to their name), and were really high on lubricants making them highly pad-dependent on cutting action. Menz PG was the popular compound at the time because it cut almost as well as an old school "rocks in a bottle" compound but finished down better; however it dusted a lot and could have a short work time. People found that mixing PG and OP extended the work time of PG and reduced the dusting. I keep recommending that people try this with 105, but everyone ignores me, I just figured that OP has changed so much over the years that it doesn't work that way anymore (I still have the original version).

BobbyG
05-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Jim,

I agree here. I use Menzerna Power Gloss and dusting isn't any worse them most others I've tried. For me, I've found it to have a longer working time and wipes off easily....

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2011, 06:29 AM
I use Menzerna Power Gloss and dusting isn't any worse them most others I've tried. For me, I've found it to have a longer working time and wipes off easily....

Well, I haven't used it that much, and perhaps it's changed a little over the years, I bought my bottle in 2006. I just remember at that time it was the popular compound for the hot shots at the forum I was on, and that was their complaint was dusting, probably with a wool pad/rotary.

BobbyG
05-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Well, I haven't used it that much, and perhaps it's changed a little over the years, I bought my bottle in 2006. I just remember at that time it was the popular compound for the hot shots at the forum I was on, and that was their complaint was dusting, probably with a wool pad/rotary.

Ahhhh, you may have touched on something. I use Power Gloss with either a yellow or orange foam pad.... I've never tried the wool pad approach with this..

Great Point!! :props: