PDA

View Full Version : Painting brake calipers

Pages : [1] 2

S2K
05-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I know this isn't paint correction or cleaning but I think it is a big "detail". Has anyone ever painted brake calipers? Do you have any tips, such as which paint is best, cleaning tips, clear coat? I want to paint mine soon and am planning on applying decals so any tips on that also. Thanks in advance for any advice. (CeeDog, I read your thread and it was very good and I picked up a lot of pointers, Thanks)

CEE DOG
05-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Thank you Dave. I did a good deal of research before doing that and from what I read the G2 2 part epoxy which I used seemed to be the best most durable option unless they are coming off and going to the powder coater.

sullysdetailing
05-06-2011, 09:28 PM
You want to clean your brakes very wheel. Pull the wheels off and clean then with a good APC or degreaser. Once the rims are dry I like to use a High Temp Black Paint (VHT or Dupli-Color works fine) Then this allows you to use any paint on top of it, so you can get a color that matches your vehicle or what every you want. Then after hit it with some high gloss clear and you are good to go.

Just make sure that you tape everything off inside the wheel well if you are doing it on the vehicle. But if you know how to take the brakes off i would do it off the vehicle makes it much easy to coat the whole wheel and you dont have to worry about getting overspray on your car

S2K
05-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I've read a lot of good stuff about the G2 also and was recommended VHT too. I plan on taking them off but no powder coat, I just want to grind off a casting line and smooth them out. I noticed you used grill paint on the hats on your rotors, how is that holding up?

CEE DOG
05-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Grill paint is holding up great! Couldn't be doing better. It's rated to 1200 F so I know heat won't be an issue.

I know you know Dave but for others reading this use brake cleaner instead of apc and stuff like that. Those will leave a residue of their own and don't immediately evaporate like brake cleaner.

Tyrod
05-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Just about any paint will work. I used the cheapest spray paint they had at WalMart when I did mine 5 years ago. They still look good!

Dr Oldz
05-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Eastwood makes a paint kit just made for calipers. I have used it a bunch of times and it holds up for years. Try their web site. Its called ceramic caliper paint kit and it comes with everything you need.

Ted S.
05-07-2011, 03:29 AM
I tore out the front brake system in my Bronco II last summer. I had painted the new caliper with a Duplicolor kit, sanded and repainted about 3 times till the calipers were smooth and even. I hand painted (which I do not suggest). The paint only holds up to about 500' intermittently, which is not that great, but they look decent.

I would recommend a different system though, because getting the caliper where they are now took way more time than what the result was worth. There are better kits, and aerosol is faster, easier, and puts on an even coat. I even got rid of alot of the existing rust and painted a good bit.

Corey had an awesome thread of his process, and his calipers turned out superb!!

This is how mine turned out

Before (old caliper and brake disk):

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40673_144117842282463_100000527442182_334521_32713 03_n.jpg

And the After(caliper still needs a bit of sanding and polishing):
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/33489_144117858949128_100000527442182_334522_16995 0_n.jpg

Here is the other side:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/35330_137646099596304_100000527442182_297346_25670 8_n.jpg

BobbyG
05-07-2011, 06:26 AM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40673_144117842282463_100000527442182_334521_32713 03_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/33489_144117858949128_100000527442182_334522_16995 0_n.jpg

Here is the other side:

WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous Ted!!!

This is one fine example of a first class restoration / upgrade!!!! :props:

jaymz
05-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Tin foil works better for some "masking" than newspaper. Easy to apply and no tape necessary.

Jim

S2K
05-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I would recommend a different system though, because getting the caliper where they are now took way more time than what the result was worth. There are better kits, and aerosol is faster, easier, and puts on an even coat. I even got rid of alot of the existing rust and painted a good bit.

[COLOR=#000020][FONT=Verdana]Corey had an awesome thread of his process, and his calipers turned out superb!
I don't understand, what other system would you recommend?

Corey used the G2 product which is also a brush on non-aerosol.

Tin foil works better for some "masking" than newspaper. Easy to apply and no tape necessary.

Jim
What masking are you referring to?

arenared
05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I think a lot depends on what results you want and the condition of your calipers. Paramount for any durability is prep. Personally, I would only do it "right" if you are going to do it at all. Otherwise, I think it looks half-baked poseurish, and now that you have painted calipers, it is one more thing to clean/maintain.

With that said, if you have steel calipers, I would probably remove them and have them sand-blasted. Aluminum ones you could probably use wire brush/metal polish/etc. to prep and finish with something like brake cleaner which does not leave residue.

I have a Porsche Boxster, and the factory Porsche/Brembo calipers are painted and clear-coated. It is pretty easy to get cracks in the clear and any dirt/moisture will get under the paint and it will peel over time.

I have used the G2 epoxy which is pretty good. It gives shiny results, but you cannot underestimate the importance of cleaning the calipers. Brakes are sort of an inherently nasty/filthy/harsh environment, and any grime will lead to fish eyes and other defects in the finish.

I have also used the DupliColor paint, but it does not look anywhere as good as the G2. Because it is not a 2-part epoxy, you can however use it as a touch-up. I also use it to paint brake pad backing plates.

I would say the G2 epoxy is more durable than painted/cleared calipers, but doesn't look as good. In the end, the best and most durable finish is powder coating. Considering the immense amount of prep required if you want nice and durable results, I would send them out for power coating which includes stripping them clean. This is the most expensive route, however, but it will last, and the powder coating is highly resistant to chemicals/heat/etc. There are low-temp powder coating processes out there (so that you don't have to do a complete caliper rebuild which may not be a bad idea depending on how well your brakes have been maintained) and glossy finishes available. The look will not be as good as a factory paint/clear, but close and much more durable.

Also, depending on your brakes and if you do any tracking of your car, if your calipers are actually subject to any serious heat, I would forget painting them at all. Almost everything I have seen will turn brown if they get a lot of heat in them, for example, red will turn red-brownish in color.

Ted S.
05-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't understand, what other system would you recommend?

Corey used the G2 product which is also a brush on non-aerosol.

If you could find an aerosol kit (which I've never seen), that would be my "preference". But you don’t have to buy a kit, you can make one. Just get some suggestions on brake cleaners, sand-paper, primer and paint (I like ceramic engine paint by Duplicolor).

Only having done one set thus far, I could not give you an honest recommendation
I just hated the brush, and would prefer aerosol for its speed and "evenness", if that's a word. The only downside to aerosol is the amount of masking.

I used Brakleen to initially cleen my calipers (this is a very dangerous product if you have no experience with it). But I’m sure others that have a lot of experience know safer, and better cleaners.

I'm planning on painting the calipers on my s10 sometime soon. I bought a can of Duplicolor engine primer w/ ceramic to paint, sand, repaint, and repeat until the calipers so they are smooth. Then I'm going to shoot them with some blue engine paint w/ ceramic. If you do not know how hot your calipers get, use more heat resistant paint (Diplicolor engine paint only goes to 500’ intermittently).

The s10 will only be the second pair I will have done, and I will post a thread a week or so after the results, hopefully all goes well! :)

S2K
05-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I tore out the front brake system in my Bronco II last summer. I had painted the new caliper with a Duplicolor kit, sanded and repainted about 3 times till the calipers were smooth and even. I hand painted (which I do not suggest). The paint only holds up to about 500' intermittently, which is not that great, but they look decent.

Corey had an awesome thread of his process, and his calipers turned out superb!!

This is how mine turned out

Before (old caliper and brake disk):

Here is the other side:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/35330_137646099596304_100000527442182_297346_25670 8_n.jpg
I think I left something out earlier... Your brakes look awesome!
I don't know how much time you had in the job but looking at what you had to start with I think it was well worth the time. The drilled rotors were a very nice touch.
I would like to see a pic with the wheels on. I bet it looks great!

prisonerofcs
05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I also used the G2 system, and I thought I had cleaned the calipers sufficiently, but apparently I hadn't. I used 3 cans of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, wire-brush, and even some sand paper. Within a month I started to get flakes. If I did it again I would probably take them out to be powder coated.

edit:

I actually liked the hand application process. The G2 system is self leveling, so I didn't get any brush marks. I don't think an aerosol process would cover as well, and would require masking removing the calipers.