PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Correction Method Using 3401

Josh@BR
05-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Of course this all varies with certain factors to take into consideration but say you were about to do a correction on a very swirled out black car. Whats your pads, compound and polishes of choice also what speed for each step. Since the Flex 3401 is completely different from traditional da's I know certain pads dont perform well at all on it and am curious what the best procedure would be. I'm currently using Menzerna with a LC Yellow pad on the highest speed then follow with Menzerna PO85rd on speed 4 I believe. I'm still fairly new with this machine so I'm just curious how some of you guys are using it. Thanks!

Shineworks10
05-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I haven't used my 3401 a lot but played around with it here and there. So far, I've only tried it with LC white pad with D151 on speed 5-5.5 on soft Acura paint. The results weren't 100% swirl free but I would say, about 90%. Have to really try to look for it.

Josh@BR
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Shineworks I appreciate your input!

Anyone else??

Bunky
05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
On a flex for PO85RD, I would use it at speed 5.5 to 6. It breaks down nicely.

A good combo is M105(LC orange or white), M205 (LC white or black), and PO85RD with a black as an option. The menzerna combos (SIP/106FA) works too.+

Mobile detail
06-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey bud what size pads/model are you using

bimmer325!
06-05-2011, 03:02 AM
To "add" to the original question..(as I just ordered my flex during the MD sale) because of the extra "power" that the flex direct drive has: when it comes to pads is it best to use the thicker pads or does it have a better operator "feel" using thinner pads ie..hydrotech pads? as it has enough power to turn either.

VR8
06-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Josh, I've used many different pads with my flex, mostly Meguiar's products, and as of the most recent addition from Meguiar's my current favorite is the new Microfiber kit. It's by far the easiest product to work with and I really like the new microfiber pads. Great control with the thinner pad.

As an afterthought, if you have a small spot that needs scuff removal or just one scratch that you want to work on, you'll need something other than the above mentioned kit because you don't want to saturate your microfiber pad with product just to work on one small area. In that case I use Meguiar's #105 (Hydro pads or CCS pads).

Perfections
06-05-2011, 09:06 AM
To "add" to the original question..(as I just ordered my flex during the MD sale) because of the extra "power" that the flex direct drive has: when it comes to pads is it best to use the thicker pads or does it have a better operator "feel" using thinner pads ie..hydrotech pads? as it has enough power to turn either.

Roger, Anthony told me he really enjoyed the thin hydros on the flex, I like the thin hydros on any machine from a da to rotary mainly because there's less pad saturation

JSMet
06-05-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a 2008 Honda Civic with metalflake red paint that was swirled and had scratches difficult to correct until I used M105/205 with Surbuf 5.5" pads on a 3401. I spritzed with water to lengthen the working time of the M105 ( I read where someone used baby oil to do the same ) and I got better results than with anything else I have ever tried. I don't know if this will help with your situation, but maybe you can consider it if all else fails to get you the finish you seek. Good luck.

truckbutt
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I just did a 2011 Black Mustang GT with my Flex 3401VRG.
1. Wash and dry.
2. M105 on a LC Orange Pad. (a few spritzes of distilled water as necessary)
3. M205 on a LC White Pad.
4. Poorboys Black Hole Glaze on an LC Black pad for super black/rich/wet look.
5. Meguiars Gold Glass carnauba wax for 2 coats on a LC Black pad.
I had alot of DISO's and minor scartches from a car cover before I started. They are all gone and the car looks a deep wet black.