PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz or Aquapel on Windows

clm65
05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I've read that you can pretty much cover everything with CQuartz, including windows, but in some of the detailing threads some other product (like Aquapel) is applied to the windows on cars that are getting CQuartz on the body. Why not put CQuartz on the windows while you are at it? I guess I'm just looking for a recommendation since I just purchased CQuartz and I need to figure how far to go with it on my wife's car.

Thanks!

Craig

BobbyG
05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I've read that you can pretty much cover everything with CQuartz, including windows, but in some of the detailing threads some other product (like Aquapel) is applied to the windows on cars that are getting CQuartz on the body. Why not put CQuartz on the windows while you are at it? I guess I'm just looking for a recommendation since I just purchased CQuartz and I need to figure how far to go with it on my wife's car.

Thanks!

Craig

Hey Craig,

I've not yet used CQuartz but at some point will give it a try.

I do use Aquapel on all of our vehicles and this stuff works great and lasts about 5 months or so through a New England winter..

I wouldn't hesitate to try it on a glass surface at all. Clean a section of the rear window and apply it there as you would on a painted surface. After it dries, buff it and look through it to see if it's remained clear and doesn't distort your view in any way.

I did the same thing with Ultima Paint Guard Plus and so far it's working well.

PAR Detailing
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I use gechniq g1 on glass. I really like the way it performs and I am really comfortable with it. I just opticoated an accord but used g1 on the glass. It's just personal preferance I think.

richy
05-06-2011, 06:50 PM
You will have no problem whatsoever using CQ on glass. It dries faster, usually within 5 to 10 minutes. My last two DD's have had it on their glass with zero issues.

clm65
05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys. I guess if I have enough CQuartz left after the body, I'll apply it to the windows. If not, I'll try something like Aquapel, or maybe the G1 Par mentioned. I haven't heard too much about it, so I'll be doing a little research first....

Crazy Amos
05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I use gechniq g1 on glass. I really like the way it performs and I am really comfortable with it. I just opticoated an accord but used g1 on the glass. It's just personal preferance I think.

Who did you get your G1 through?

jlb85
05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Gtechniq is available direct, they have great shipping rates, but their prices are about to go up further this month (May).

Back on track, I like Aquapel over G3/G4 and CQ on glass. I assume the OP may be referring to some of our threads where we use OC/CQ/C1 but Aquapel on the glass. Although I believe OC will last longer than Aquapel, I feel Aquapel makes water move faster than any of the others. A good 4 months, decent 6 months, and sometimes even after a year Aquapel performs. On my Audi, the G3 stopped shedding as much as the Aquapel after 3 to 4 months. Right off the bat, day 1, Aquapel still shed water more than G3. Of all others, G3 is the most shedding.

If you find a good deal on Aquapel, $5 can coat front and back windows. The best price I have found it is just under $4. Of course if you already have CQ/C1/OC and have some left, definitely use it on the glass. Any of these products will blow your socks off! So you can't go wrong with any of them. The difference is simply astonishing. Try one for awhile, then change up when you get new products.

Another thing I like about Aquapel is it has its own applicator. Use once, throw away. What I don;t like about it is that you have to be much more careful around the window seals than the others. All the others are safe on paint (made for paint!) where the Aquapel is not. I assume it is silicone based, so I keep it away from the paint and seals very carefully.

Bottom line, although I like Aquapel most, IMO it is not worth going out of your way to get some if you already have CQuartz, C1, G3/G4, or Opti-Coat.

clm65
05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Wow, thanks jlb. You are right on target with why I was asking. In fact, it was your post (on a VW GTI I believe) that prompted my question. I appreciate the thoroughness of your post and recommendation/advice!

UCD
05-07-2011, 03:55 PM
+1 for Aquapel. I applied it on my windshield (October 29, 2010) and it is still beading great! So I believe it can last for 8+ months.
PS the car is located in Eastern Canada and it's been washed 4 times since then.

dougaross
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
What steps do you take when RE-APPLYING Aquapel?

UCD
05-07-2011, 04:55 PM
What steps do you take when RE-APPLYING Aquapel?
Well, I'm gonna polish my glass using an AutoGlym glass polish with a DA. But if you don;t feel like polishing your glass, apply it on top of existing Aquapel when you see poor beading.

jlb85
05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, I'm gonna polish my glass using an AutoGlym glass polish with a DA. But if you don;t feel like polishing your glass, apply it on top of existing Aquapel when you see poor beading.

^+1 , just reapply :)

I have applied it to a dirty windshield just fine ;) The solvents will clean off anything still on it.

XLNTShine
05-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I have used the glass science cleaner as well as a product called glass stripper to clean the windshield before re-application of Aquapel. Both seem to do the job of stripping the glass pretty well. I just checked to see if the old product was removed by spraking some water on the windshield!

panthercz
05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
My wife LOVES the Aquapel on her windshield. I have CQuartz on my windshield but it hasn't rained yet so I can't compare the two yet. They went on easy and didn't leave any hazing or anything.