PDA

View Full Version : Over-Dressing Tires?!?

Pages : [1] 2

Ted S.
05-05-2011, 04:00 PM
So I was out today trying out WG Black Diamond Tire Gel (free sample, thanks AG). Great stuff.

Anyways, while dressing up my tires I realized I do this about once every 2-3 weeks (except for this time was the second time this week, I had used 303 AP Tuesday, but wanted to try this stuff).

A co-worker of mine was talking a month or so ago about how he used to be a tire-dressing-nut like me until he learned that dressing tires too repeatedly was bad for the tires, just as dressing them too little is bad. Now I assume this only applies to petroleum based tire dressing. Am I damaging my tires by using environmentally safe, petroleum free tire dressing (such as the 303 and WG) with such frequency?

I'd assume keeping tires cleaned and dressed all the time would keep them from drying out and breaking down, thus, lasting longer... Is this the wrong idea?
Feed back please
By the way, here are some pics::checkit:

Treads are still dirty:D
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/203_2535.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/203_2536.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/203_2537.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/203_2538.JPG

embolism
05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't see how the water based stuff would cause any problems

maximus20895
05-05-2011, 04:36 PM
If this was the case wouldn't it be all over the internet?

Ted S.
05-05-2011, 04:57 PM
If this was the case wouldn't it be all over the internet?
I have no idea. I usually limit my internet use to AG, Facebook, and e-mail. Maybe online classes if I have them. The internet distorts alot of info.Im the MAN

StoneRaizer
05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Maybe it's just the angle or the sun, but would you say WG Black Diamond Tire Gel has a low gloss, satin sheen similar to OptiBond?

ScubaCougr
05-05-2011, 05:44 PM
A co-worker of mine was talking about how he used to be a tire-dressing-nut like me until he learned that dressing tires too repeatedly was bad for the tires,

I had a friend tell me something similar...using Armor All or dressings on the dash would cause cracking and ruin it. Then I looked at his car. Back at mine. Back over at his. Reached for my Armor All. . .

You're doing great. Tires look fantastic. Ignore the naysayers and keep it up!

Ted S.
05-05-2011, 05:45 PM
J
Maybe it's just the angle or the sun, but would you say WG Black Diamond Tire Gel has a low gloss, satin sheen similar to OptiBond?
Never used optibond. I usually use 303 AP, and that stuff has a nice mellow gloss. But the WG is very glossy. I actually used it directly over the 303 I applied two days ago. WG is way darker and a bit glossier.

Rsurfer
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
J
Never used optibond. I usually use 303 AP, and that stuff has a nice mellow gloss. But the WG is very glossy. I actually used it directly over the 303 I applied two days ago. WG is way darker and a bit glossier.

Does it sling?

loudog2
05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Black Diamond has rubber conditioners in it. Your tires will be fine.

embolism
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Not sure how bad Armor all is for the rubber but the brown mess it leaves on your tires after a while is definitely not the look many are going for

Ted S.
05-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Does it sling?

I drove to and from work (approximately 20+ miles round trip), and so far no sling. I would love to see how the rain treats the tires though. I'll give this stuff two, maybe three weeks then decide whether it is feasible to use as my go to tire dressing over 303 AP as far as customer’s cars. Of course, I’m not sure if applying it over 2 day old 303 had an improving effect over how awesome it made my tires look.

But I still will probably give PERL a try this summer; Nick had a good thread displaying it and the stuff roused my interest, prolly even gonna review it vs. 303 AP.

Ted S.
05-06-2011, 02:19 AM
Black Diamond has rubber conditioners in it. Your tires will be fine.
Nice to know. :cheers:

Not sure how bad Armor all is for the rubber but the brown mess it leaves on your tires after a while is definitely not the look many are going for
I'm not a big fan of Armor All products. But as far as the brown stuff, That may be brake dust that was attracted to the Armor.

If you straight up just clean tires and do not add dressing(besides the fact they will dry out, crack, and rot), with time you will notice a brown looking residue. The stuff is on my Bronco II's tires that have never been dressed, I'm fairly certain this is brake dust,. But the Armor All, as you stated, may have something to do with it.

BobbyG
05-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I think the chemicals we use to clean the tires contain much stronger and contain more potentially destructive ingredients than the dressings we use to keep them looking great.

The brown color we see has allot to do with the natural outgasing of the rubber material used and the road film they pick up during daily driving.

SeaJay's
05-06-2011, 06:34 AM
I think you'll be fine. As long as you clean them well every so often you won't end up with dressing build up (i've seen this multiple times).

And I really like the WG tire gel. It doesn't sling (you have to follow directions and wipe after it's sat for roughly 30 minutes). Leaves a nice matte black finish and it lasts for weeks (typically). If you prefer more of a shine you can add a 2nd coat to give it more shine.

vet
05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I've used Armor All, Endurance, 303, and the spray on, walk away stuff in the past. The worst for browning was the spray on walk away, so I don't use it any more, unless on the lawn tractor tires. I'll use the Armor All gel I have left, or 303 until I find something better (my next AG order). I like the 303 too.

I used to drive enough to work and home that tires didn't last more than 2 years, so never had a damage problem.