PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for Waxing new car

SilverBimmer
05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
After only 11 years, I broke down and got my wife a new car--a silver gray Subaru Forester.

I'm preparing to apply its first sealant and wax. I intend to clay the entire surface, as it feels a little rough. After that, should I use a chemical paint cleaner and/or glaze before sealing and waxing? The finish is new and needs no correction.

I use Wolfgang Products and a Griot's DA. Should I use the Paintwork Polish Enhancer and/or Glaze, or go right to the sealant?

I'm sure this is answered somewhere on this forum, but I just can't find it!

Thanks. You guys are the best.

embolism
05-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Since you aren't polishing, I'd use the PPE after claying, then put on your sealant. Should all go pretty fast with a DA

A4 1.8tqm
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I use Wolfgang Products and a Griot's DA. Should I use the Paintwork Polish Enhancer and/or Glaze, or go right to the sealant?

If by WG Glaze you mean- Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze.html) This is a finishing polish with abrasives from Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-nano-polish-po-106-fa-finishing-polish.html) (I wish the industry would standardize the terms.) If that's not what you meant, no need for a true glaze (filler).

Even if the paint finish does appear to need correction, it will still benefit from a finishing polish. You will get a better gloss and clarity from the paint for sure, giving you the best starting point.

I recommend-

1- Wash
2- Clay
3- Finishing polish (WG Finishing Glaze or Menz 106/85rd, 3M Ultrafine etc.)
4- Paint Prep (WG PPE if desired)
5- Seal (WG DGPS)
6- Wax (WG Fusion or whatever you want to use)

Just my opinion. Whenever the time comes that I get a new car, you can be sure that I will polish the paint immediately. Likely a 2-step, second being 3M Ultrafine.

SilverBimmer
05-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the guidance, men.

Yes, I was referring to Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0, not to an old-fashioned pure polish.

Mike Burke
05-06-2011, 12:23 PM
3- Finishing polish (WG Finishing Glaze or Menz 106/85rd, 3M Ultrafine etc.)

Would Megs 205 work for this step ?

maximus20895
05-06-2011, 12:27 PM
M205 it a bit more aggressive than 85RD. It can still be used as the last correction step before a wax or sealant though.

Bunky
05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the guidance, men.

Yes, I was referring to Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0, not to an old-fashioned pure polish.

Wash, clay, properly used finishing polish (WG FG), then sealant will yield the best results from the steps you mentioned. It will at least gloss the paint to satisfy most anyone.