PDA

View Full Version : GG Speed Shine poor as clay lube?

kkreit01
05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I've read a lot of good reviews for GG Speed Shine. Three years ago, I was tickled to find a brand-new, sealed bottle at a local garage sale for 50 cents! I have no idea how old it was, but when shook, it mixed fine. Fast-forward to last weekend, I was ready to crack the seal because I finally used up most of my other QDs. I was using Speed Shine as a clay lube for Mother's (otc yellow) clay. The experience was horrible. The clay was breaking up, and sticking/smearing to my paint. I was using the lube very liberally. At first I thought it was either too cool (low 50s), or my clay was shot. Just for kicks, I swapped to my bottle of DG FC&S on the shelf. The process then worked flawlessly. My FC&S is also several years old.

1. Was my Speed Shine too old?
2. Is Speed Shine lousy as a clay lube?
3. Does Speed Shine only work well with GG clay?

I just thought I'd post this weird experience...

embolism
05-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Isn't speed shine a wax? Have you tested it on a panel to see if it still works like it should?

Never heard of having to use a specific lube with clay or vice versa.

TheCougarGuy
05-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Speed Shine is all I've ever used with the Griot's clay. I've never had any issues.

kkreit01
05-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Speed Shine is their QD. Maybe mine is too old, or it just doesn't like Mother's Clay?

Gunslinger
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Speed Shine is all I've ever used with the Griot's clay. I've never had any issues.

Same here. Never had a problem of any kind...it works great.

serenity
05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I just used it yesterday with griots clay and had no problems.

heynicebits
05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Speed Shine works great as a lube. It's my favorite QD too.

BillyJack
05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I've used Speed Shine with numerous brands of clay without a single issue. Lately, I've been mixing ONR as a clay lube for cars where I'm doing some polishing or correction, since it's both good and cheap. But, if it's just a quick clay and wax job, SS is my preference since it finishes with more gloss.

Bill

kkreit01
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Mine must be old then. I'll see if it has a date code. It doesn't smell very good. It did produce a nice gloss. I can still use it for bird bombs. The bottle itself is worth 50 cents. I also purchased Griots' spray nozzle.

SeaJay's
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I had this issue with Speed Shine last year. Brand new bottle. I had run out of my regular clay lube and figured it's a quick detailer and should work. Well my Adams clay kept grabbing the paint really bad like there wasn't enough lube. I kept spraying and it kept grabbing. It ended up leaving smear marks on the hood of the car. I concluded that it was the Speed Shine. I ended up mixing up some DP rinseless wash and used that instead and it worked great.

kkreit01
05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
^Humm, It wasn't just "me" then? That's exactly my experience with Mother's clay. It was horrible. I used over half the bottle on 2/3 of my car, but it still seemed like there wasn't enough "lube". Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine worked like a charm.

drewk2
05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
You are not alone!!

I, too, was using the Mothers Clay bar kit with Mothers Quick Detailer as the lubricant.
I ran out of Quick Detailer, so I got out my new bottle of Griot's Speed Shine.

HORRIBLE! As you said, the clay would NOT glide smoothly over the paint with the combo of Mothers clay bar and Griot's Speed Shine! The clay would "grab" and leave "clay skid marks" all over the paint.

I then mixed a little water in my old bottle of Mothers Quick Detailer and the clay worked fine.

I did not try out the Griot's Speed Shine with Griot's clay (or any other clay other than Mothers), but this was very disturbing to me. I am wondering if Griot's Speed Shine will only work properly with Griot's claybar only??

Ron Atchison
05-26-2011, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=drewk2;473277]You are not alone!!

I, too, was using the Mothers Clay bar kit with Mothers Quick Detailer as the lubricant.

HORRIBLE! As you said, the clay would NOT glide smoothly over the paint with the combo of Mothers clay bar and Griot's Speed Shine! The clay would "grab" and leave "clay skid marks" all over the paint. QUOTE]

Same exact thing here. Only difference I tried to use Meg QP after my Mothers lube ran out. Didn't take but a few minutes to know it wasn't going to work. In fact now the clay is very sticky in the bag.

5.4 Shelby
05-26-2011, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=drewk2;473277]You are not alone!!

HORRIBLE! As you said, the clay would NOT glide smoothly over the paint with the combo of Mothers clay bar and Griot's Speed Shine! The clay would "grab" and leave "clay skid marks" all over the paint. QUOTE]

Same exact thing here. Only difference I tried to use Meg QP after my Mothers lube ran out. Didn't take but a few minutes to know it wasn't going to work. In fact now the clay is very sticky in the bag.
Sounds like it is more of an issue with Mother's clay than Speed Shine. If the Mothers clay didnt play well with Speedshine or Megs, then is must have something to do with the clay itself. I have used GG clay and Blue Magic clay with Speedshine without any issues. I had an old Mothers clay bar, but, it was before I had speedshine so I never tried the 2 together.